End

Third POV

It has been exactly 2 years since the royal wedding and in that time the kingdom of Shiganshina had surly grown and blossomed over the years. All thanks to the new rulers. Many new laws were made during their rain so far. Now there are many orphanages which provide the young children what they need and deserve, which helps them grow. Also, couples of the same sex have become less of a surprise to see. Shiganshina was the first kingdom to allow marriage and adoption for same-sex couples.

The sun was sitting high in the clear blue sky, projecting its golden rays on the happy couple bellow. They held hands, laughing and talking about everything and anything, they couldn't be happier.

But there was one thing nagging at the back of the brunettes mind.

Eren POV

It is Levi's and mine's 2 year anniversary today and everything was going perfectly, as they always do. However, there was something I wanted to discuss with him but wasn't quite sure if I should...

"Treasure?" I heard Levi's voice, pulling me from my daze.

I look up at him smiling. "Sorry, I got a little lost in my own thoughts" I replied, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze, not wanting him to worry. "What were you thinking about?" Levi asked, concern still laced in his voice.

"Nothing important.." I trailed off. "Well actually, I wanted to talk to you about something, but I'm not sure if I would sound stupid" This time a gave an honest answer.

Levi stopped walking and turned to face me, holding both my hands in his. " Nothing you could say would ever sound stupid, ok?" I could hear the seriousness of his tone. "Ok," I whispered, now feeling stupid from what I had previously said. "What was it you wanted to ask" Levi once again cut off my thoughts of embarrassment.

"Well, we've been together for a while now...and I know we have Schalk and everything" I started to trial off think about my dog that was now quite a lot bigger since when I first found him. "But I can't help but feel like...." I found myself trailing off once again. "Feel like what treasure, are you not happy?"

Levi said, and I could hear the sadness start to creep up on his voice. "N-no! I am.. it's just that I feel like something missing, something big and so obvious but I just can't place my finger on it" I finished finally getting what I wanted said without trailing off.

"Missing?" Levi spoke more so to himself than to me. "Yea, now that you mention it I've been feeling the same way" Levi spoke louder this time, whilst looking me dead in the eyes. "R-really?" I stuttered amazed that it wasn't just me which felt that way. "Yes, I suppose we'll have to figure out what missing together" Levi spoke again, smiling at me before pressing his lips onto my four head.

"Let's continue our walk shall we?" He said in a mocking British accent, whilst holding out his arm for me. "Yes let's"I mimicked his voice and hooked my arm with his before we continued walking.

~Time skip~

It was sunset now and we had decided to walk back to the palace before it got too late.

As we strolled down the cobbled path through the now deserted village, I hear soft cries coming from nearby. I stopped walking, my sudden holy cause Levi to nearly pull me over. "What's the matter?" Levi asked quietly as to not disturb the silence since he could tell I was clearly searching for something.

Without any warning, I grab Levi by the wrist and started to pull him toward the direction I heard the sound coming from. "Wha-, Eren what are-" I cut Levi off with a harsh shushing sound. "I thought I heard crying" and as if on cue, there it was again.

This time Levi heard it too and I knew actually which direction it was coming from. After a little tromping through the woods(which was by the village) we came to an opening which had a small stream going through it.

On the riverbank, a small basket had caught my eye, as I got closer the owner of the soft cries and whispers was a newborn baby not much older than a few months.

I extended my arms towards the fragile being and cradled it, whilst softly humming a lullaby to sooth it. After a little while, it seemed to work and the baby had fallen asleep in my arms. I turned to see Levi staring at me with a look of awe and love.

"Stop staring" I harshly whispered as a blush started crawling onto my cheeks, painting them a light crimson red. I looked down at the sleeping figure in my arms "what do u think happens to her?". Levi also glanced down into my arms "I'm not sure" He whispers not wanting to accidentally wake the baby.

I turned back to look at the basket to find there was a note attached to it. I reached down carefully and picked it up. "What does it say l?" Levi spoke now stood directly behind me.

Dear hum-ever this may concern,

My name is not important because by the time you have read this I would most probably already be dead. However do not morn for me, but instead, look after my daughter. I was lucky enough to be able to save her, or so I hope. My village was attacked and burnt to the ground, there is nothing for my daughter here so do not bother trying to return her to her rightful home. My only wish is that you take her in and treat her as your own, this might be too much to ask but it is all I ask. I hope this basket with its precious load find a good and caring home for my dear child.

Thank you.

"That's horrible" I whisper as I glance down to the child that is resting peacefully in my arms, unaware of what had just a cured.

"Levi-"

"Yes," He cut me off even before I could say anything. "I know what you were going to ask," he says with a smug grin plastered on his face. I gave out a soft giggle "you know me too well" we shared a quick kiss Before another thought popped into my head. "What are we going to name her since the mother never left one for her". I asked looking Levi in the eye. "I'm not sure yet but for now we should head inside"

I nodded in agreement and we continued again.

~back at the palace~

Once we had gotten back I washed the baby whilst Levi went on a place wide hint for baby clothes. I had finished drying her when Levi came back with an arm full of old baby clothes. "They used to be Mikasa's" Levi stated as he set them down on the bed next to where I was sat cuddling the small child.

I have to admit I have a very soft spot of children and always wanted ones of my own.

I quickly put on a small onesie which was black and had cat ears and tails sown on it. She looked absolutely adorable!

"So a name," Levi said whilst extending his arms slowly as if he was afraid I would hit him if he tried taking her from me.

Which I would.

Nevertheless, I solemnly handed him the precious being with a slight pout in my face, causing Levi to laugh.

"Umm, I think you should pick after all you did find her" Levi spoke once more, whilst he gently rocked the baby back and forth. "Ok, hmm how about...." I thought for a minute not sure what to choose.

I looked closely at the baby in Levi's arms and noticing how similar they looked. If I didn't know any better I would have said it was actually his biological daughter.

The small patches of hair she did have were a midnight black and looked and felt smooth. Her skin was pale and resembled that of the moon and her eyes were a greyish blue that shone like stars when you see them in a certain light.

That's it

"Luna," I said proudly of the well-fitting name. "As in moon?" Levi asked. I hummed signifying his assumption was correct. "I like it" he finally finished as his gaze went back to the child which was named Luna. "It suits doesn't it, Princess Luna Ackerman" I mused, Levi, smiling at me in return.

We then spent the rest of the evening taking in turns to cradle the infant, and humming lullabies to Luna. Our daughter. And the feelings of emptiness had gone.

This was what we're missing.

~End~

——————————————————