Chapter 1: City of Slums

Slums of Jericho (Formerly known as Detroit) - 2596

---

I put the finishing touches on the garment in my arms. It was a beautiful fabric, with silk as soft as spider webs, and a deep shade of blue as dark as night. I pressed my fingers to each of the golden crystals I had just finished embroidering onto it, giving it a shimmer whenever the dress moved. It was a work of art, and I dreamed that someday, I would be able to wear a dress as beautiful and whimsical as those I loved creating.

But I was not allowed the wear them.

"Alonce!" I called into the darkness of the work shop, and a human boy with dirt on his face moved into the light of my candle. "I need you to package this. Mark it for delivery to Miss Amelia. She needs it in time for Ra9's gala."

"Yes [F/N]!" Alonce called, his hovering chair automatically moving towards his workshop counter. He waved a hand over a light, and it clicked on, illuminated the table. He shoved aside the clatter of needles and fabrics, pulling out an automatic delivery box, and pressing the button to reassemble it. "What was Amelia's request this time? Let me guess, she wanted the literal night sky to be formed into a dress?" He carefully took the garment from my hands, and spread it over the workshop table.

"Yes, something like that..." I muttered, brushing loose strands of my hair out of my eyes. I frowned, as my calloused hands came into the dim light of the room. A thought crossed my mind, that I could buy some healing ointment from the local markets. The thought disappeared just as quickly, as I thought of how such a feat would cost me all my savings. That money needed to be saved for Lyra.

"How is Lyra?" I murmured, leaning against the desk as Alonce worked. He exhaled, a hopeless sound.

"Her condition is getting worse..." He explained. "She's lost all function in her legs. Soon, it will reach her arms too."

"It's gotten that bad?!"

"Yeah..." The younger boy nodded. "I... I don't think she's going to make it."

"She has to!" I exclaimed. "We have to stay strong for her. We can't loose hope yet."

"It's already been two months [F/N]," Alonce murmured, pressing the button to close the package. "She has only gotten worse. Medicine will save her, but even with our savings combined we can't afford it." He gently placed a hand on my shoulder, giving me a sad and desperate expression. "I know my sister is strong, but she is not this strong... I don't think anyone could live through what she has been through."

My heart seemed to die a little at the sadness in his words, and I brushed his hand away. I moved to pick up the completed package. "I'll take it to the couriers. I'll visit Lyra on the way back."

Alonce finally smiled. "I think she would like that."

Carefully, I pushed open the rickety wooden door and stepped out onto the ledge on the outside of the workshop. I glanced back towards it, seeing the words 'Cybersky Garments' glowing in neon letters, the most expensive addition to the entire building complex combined. Stepping away from the building, I felt dizziness wash over me as I took in the towers of rooms above me, and descending below me into darkness. The only indication that it was day time was the faint light that shone between the buildings, illuminating the path of scrap metal that I walked upon.