Chapter 6: Remnants of Time

I awoke to a world of darkness. My head was pounding, and my limbs felt heavy, but I was sure that from my rasping breaths, I was still alive. With my eyes closed, I raced over memories of what had just happened. The arena... the annihilator... Simon... the man pulling me back... it all returned to me.

I should be dead. The injection that was forced into my neck... it should have killed me, right?

I groaned, forcing myself to sit up, to take in my surroundings as best as I could.

Even though the room was pitch black, there must have been a very slight light somewhere, as I could just make out what surrounded me. With the darkness of the room, I could faintly make out the silhouettes of unidentified objects. I crawled slowly forward, feeling my way across the floor, until I was sure that it was safe for me to stand up.

I turned slowly in the room, determined to find where the faint light was coming from. As I trailed my eyes over my surroundings, I came to the sudden realization that the light was coming from me.

Underneath the white cloth of my dress, I could see a faint light being emitted. I looked down the front of my dress to find the small triangle at the end of Kara's pendant glowing faintly. Even though the light was dim, the room was so dark that it shone on everything it touched. When I removed the pendant from my blouse, and held it out in front of me, what I saw sent chills to my core.

It was a mass of bodies. The figures of thousands of beings, some androids, some humans, lay sprawled on the floor, heaped on top of one another. I felt nauseous as I took in the state of some of them, predicting that they must have been there for centuries. Maybe I had died after all. This couldn't be reality, right?

I felt sick to my stomach, but I knew that I had to move on. If I wanted to survive, I would have to fight my way out of this place.

As I walked past the faceless masses, I tried to stop my head from spinning. Whatever they had injected into me had caused some difficult side effects, things that made the world around me seem blurry and distant. I forced my way on, finding a small path through this disturbing maze.

Eventually, the bodies became fewer and fewer, and I began to see other things making up the piles around me. Objects that I did not recognize, perhaps remnants of a whole other time, laid broken and discarded.

I saw objects made from broken glass, small devices that would be about the size of my hand. I saw other larger objects, also made from glass or discoloured metal. I assumed that before the holographic screens, these were objects that were also used for viewing.

As well as old viewing devices, I also saw discarded pieces of clothing, and various pieces of paper that seemed attached to each other. Perhaps before a time of digital viewing, these various articles of paper were used to give information.

I paused beside one article of paper, dating all the way back to 2038. I was shocked to discover that such articles, ones from centuries ago, still existed.

I stooped closer to one article, holding my pendant up to bring light to the surface.

'Android riots: Detroit Neighborhoods vandalized by psychotic machines'

I stepped back in confusion. Nothing in the article made any sense to me. Detroit... psychotic machines...? Was this what Jericho was like in the past?

I moved on, stumbling over more articles that showed the world of the past. Titles seemed to call out to me, even in their various states of decay.

'The Mysterious Mister Kamski: What happened to the man of the century?' I allowed my eyes to skim over the words of the article. 'In 2038, Elijah Kamski was our Man of the Century. His creations have transformed our world. Androids didn't just revolutionize the economy, they changed the way we live, restructured our family life, and altered the balance of society forever, whether good or bad. Shortly after, Kamski had disappeared. Ousted as CEO of Cyberlife and living in...' I felt my heart sink as I noticed that the rest of the article had been obscured by dried blood. I placed it carefully back on the pile and moved on.