Chapter 14: Initiation

"No!" I immediately replied, "He can't do that."

"Why not?" Kara asked, leaning back in her chair.

"Because..." I stuttered, "B-Because..." I didn't even know why, but I knew Connor couldn't go through with it. "Because he can't be like them! Those androids are cruel..." It was a lame excuse, but I couldn't think of any other reason.

"Connor, please," Kara begged, turning on him with desperate eyes. "This is the only choice we all have. For the sake of all androids, and all humans... can't you do this for us?"

Connor remained silent for a long moment, his hands clasped in front of him, eyes closed.

"You would also be capable of the upgrades," He finally replied, "You're an AX400, but that doesn't mean you're any different from me. We are both machines." Kara seemed to flinch at the word, then sighed.

"I'm not like you Connor," She replied, "If it came to it, I would not be able to fight and defend myself. Even with all the programming in the world, it is not in my database to fight," She paused, seeming to think over her words before speaking. "But you Connor, you are different. Different from all of us. I believed that all the RK800 androids were destroyed... but you are still here."

"Destroyed?" Connor asked, and I noticed how his LED turned red. He didn't like this subject.

"Yes," Rupert interrupted, "All RK model androids were. So Markus could be the only one."

"So he could be the strongest..." I muttered, putting the pieces together. Kara nodded in agreement.

"That's why Connor, you are the only one who can stand up to Markus. But we need your permission. We need to be able to trust you..." She clenched her fist in her dress. "Think of it as one of your missions. It's been centuries since you have had a proper mission, right?"

Connor remained silent once more, for a long time, as if processing her words. Then his eyes darted around the room, from Rupert, to Kara, and then to me. He gazed at me, as if wondering what my own thoughts were. I silently tried to tell him with my eyes that this was a bad idea. He finally exhaled, looking down at his hands.

"I no longer have Cyberlife there to assign the missions for me," He paused, "This time, I'll have to be the one to consider this."

Kara, seemingly accepting his terms, rose from her place on the couch. She moved over, and gazed out of the clock tower window, over the city of Jericho. I too stood, or at least tried to, before stumbling slightly. Connor grabbed my arm, giving me a concerned look. He gazed at me, with those deep brown eyes for a long moment, before straightening, tugging me with him.

"I'm going to take [F/N] downstairs," He said, and I blinked at him in surprise. Kara and Rupert also turned, looking slightly stunned. In the next moment, the world seemed to spin, and I realized with a jolt that Connor was holding me in his arms, prepared to carry me. My face and body seemed to rush with heat.

"C-Connor, what are you doing?!"

He ignored my question, instead glancing towards Kara and Rupert.

"I'll consider your terms. I assure you," He finally said, before turning and beginning to walk down the stairs. At first, I struggled against him, trying to move out of his grip. His arms were like a vice, pinning me to his chest. Although the stairs had seemed to stretch on before, with Connor's long legs, we seemed to be making fast progress.

"Connor, I can walk!!" I made another attempt at breaking free from his grasp, and he gave me a slightly amused look.

"I am aware that you can walk, but I wanted an excuse to be away from those two..." Then, to my complete and utter surprise, the android winked at me! I gazed at him, open mouthed, wondering if I had imagined it. Before I could say anything, Connor continued speaking.