Chapter 5: Arena

I squinted as the bright sunlight reflected off the metal walls of the arena. When they finally adjusted to the light, I blinked, and felt my heart plummet in shock at the sight of what was around me.

I stood in the center of a metal floor, decorated with various blue triangle shapes, and strips of black. Above me, and all around me, were the faces of the androids. Behind walls of glass, they stared at me, their robotic eyes seeming to scan me to my very core. I shuddered at the looks on their faces, eagerness at what my fate would be.

I spun slowly, taking in the rest of the arena. On the opposite side of where I entered, I saw a hovering platform with various thrones on it, where Lord Ra9 and his companions sat. Lord Ra9 looked regal, in clothing black with gold trims, as if it had been touched by sunlight itself. The light reflecting off the glass walls of this cage also reflected off his gold crown. Androids spoke of Lord Ra9 being a god, but I had never believed it. And yet, in this moment, he looked every bit the part of a powerful god.

To his left, North sat, her cheeks and lips a rosy colour that made her look like a doll. She wore dragonfly wings similar to the ones I had seem in the city. To Ra9's right, was Simon and the other android who still did not have a name. I stared at Simon for a long time, and yet he did not meet my gaze.

I stumbled back slightly as Lord Ra9 suddenly raised his hand, and the sounds of the arena all fell silent. He slowly stood from his throne, and moved to the front of the platform, so that the whole arena could see him clearly.

"People of Jericho. Today, we witness another mortal who dared to defy us. Today, we show not only this mortal, but all of humanity, that we are the ones in control!" He spread his arms wide, and the crowd cheered their approval. The faces blurred together around me, and I took to staring at my feet. I had to run. I had to get out of this place. But... how?

"Elijah Kamski created the first androids. Elijah Kamski believed that he could become a god," Ra9 continued. "But he didn't know nearly enough of the true extent of our power." He paced back and forth on the platform. "They tried to stop us... They tried to tear us to the ground. But we rose above them all."

A chill rose on my flesh as his next words rang through the glass arena. "He had the gall to call himself a god. But we... we are the real gods!"

The android cheered. And I... I felt numb. I had thought I could do something in this place. I thought that I could make a difference, by sacrificing myself to save my friend. And yet... with these androids all around me, cheering for my destruction... I felt scared.

I stood still for a long time, while Ra9 made his speech. I glanced over the walls of the arena, searching desperately for an escape, but found none. The walls were fortified, not only with glass, but with bonds of steel that I had never recognized before. I was a bird in a cage of glass.

Chloe's form hovered onto the arena with cybernetic boots, and it was the first time I had ever seen her in person. She was as beautiful as all the other androids, with golden hair and blue eyes.

"Today's battle will now commence," Her voice rang clear over the arena speakers. "Today, this little human will be facing off against the annihilator. Remember the battle is in your hands." Her form hovered to the opposite side of the arena, but even as she left, her words still resounded in my mind. Battle? Annihilator? I felt dread course throughout my body.

I had no weapons. Nothing. As I heard a large glass panel behind me shudder open, and I tripped backwards. The androids laughed, and that laugh made all my fears reality. I was going to die. These androids were going to watch as this... thing... teared me to pieces. I watched in fear and panic as the doors opened, revealing a... creature... with scissor like blades for arms, and instead of it's head. From the structure of the body, I knew it must have been an android. But why would they do such a thing to one of their own?

The creature made a noise from who knows where, a roar that made the androids watching applaud. The creature blindly ran towards me, and I stumbled out of the way. My mind seemed to race faster than my limbs as I ducked and dodged swing after swing from those dangerous blades. I knew that if I got hit by one of them, I wouldn't stand a chance. I felt the cool metal of Kara's necklace on my chest, but I knew it would do nothing to give me luck now. I looked desperately towards Lord Ra9, hoping that some part of him would have compassion. As I glanced towards the hovering platform, I saw Simon to his right. He vaguely made a slight gesture towards his elbow area, where I knew the joints were. I looked back at the annihilator, and saw a similar joint right where he was pointing. His words rang through my mind as I stared at the killing machine.

"Do something unexpected. Show the world that you can't be tamed like the others. Give them a show, and they will keep you alive."

Give them a show... If I was going to die anyway, what did I have to loose?

I stood up straighter, and allowed any thoughts of fear to move to the back of my mind. From my peripheral vision, I saw Ra9 straighten in surprise at my sudden posture change.

"Enjoying the show Ra9?"

He glared back at me, and I dodged another swing from the android. He didn't respond. Now that I caught his attention, I just had to give those androids the show they wanted.

A blade whisked dangerously close to my head, and I saw little pieces of my hair brush over my face. My heart raced at the thought of how close those blades were. The android had reacted sharply when I spoke, and I came to the sudden realization that it couldn't see, but moved through hearing only. I ducked another close blow, and darted behind the android. As I had thought, the android continued to lash forward. I made a sharp noise directly behind it, and it spun quickly towards me. I darted out of the way to avoid another strike. I clapped again behind it, causing the android to turn so quickly that one of the blades hit the joint of its arm, making it slice cleanly off. The android roared in pain as thirium poured from the open wound. The crowd made no sound as they watched the chaotic scene.

I watched as the limb that had been severed twitched slightly on the ground. The sight of the arm with the scissor like blades on the end made me want to run the other way, but I knew that this was the only chance I had.

I grabbed the bladed limb and brandished it like a weapon. I moved towards the blind machine, who was now in a state of panic at the loss of it's limb. I swiped down with my new weapon, severing its other arm, and finally its head. I listened to the android roar until I could hear it no more. I held my weapon for a long time, before I finally dropped it and stepped back. I looked down at myself, and my white dress that was now stained with blue blood.

The silence was eerie around the glass walls. I did not move, standing still amongst the carnage.

The silence seem to stretch on for eternity. Before finally, a sound began to echo around my cage. It was the sound of someone clapping.

My eyes trailed around the arena, before finally landing on Simon, who had risen from his chair, and was clapping softly. He was the only one, out of everyone in that arena, who had applauded me.

"Be quiet," Lord Ra9 said sharply. "Everyone, be silent!"

The arena fell silent, and Simon simply looked at Ra9 as he rose from his chair.

"Take her away," Ra9's voice was silent, and yet it demanded authority. "Take her away!" He said more loudly, and I heard footsteps racing behind me.

"Markus, what are you doing?" Simon said, loud enough so only those inside the glass could hear. Who was Markus? "She won, didn't she? She is free to go!"

"She defied us!! Take her away!!"

Simon's words did nothing to stop my fate, as the biggest android, or human, I had ever seen moved towards me. I struggled, but his grip was like a vice, and it held me in place. I fought as hard as I could, kicking and clawing at the man, but it was no use. He pulled something out of his pocket, and I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my neck. The world around me blurred at the edges as my limbs seemed to leave my control. I strained to see the podium where the high androids sat, and I saw Simon's face contorted in concern. His face was the last thing I saw before my world plunged into darkness.