Chapter 11: New Detroit

With Connor close behind me, we followed Kara and Alice down a narrow corridor. According to her, the corridor was once used for androids to get to one place to another, but now it was abandoned, used as a way to sneak between Ra9's tower and the main city.

"Very few of the servants here know it," Kara finished, tilting her head back towards us. The corridor was so narrow that I practically had to crawl to get through. I glanced towards Connor behind me, and was surprised to see how easily he sneaked through the dark hallway. I watched him for a long moment, how his moves were so carefully predicted and placed. I was so taken by his steady movements, that I wasn't watching my own, and crashed into Kara's back.

"Ow! Sorry," I muttered, looking ahead to see why she stopped. Kara was poised in front of a grate. Alice giggled ahead.

"It's dark, isn't it? Don't worry, you'll be able to see properly soon."

I stared at the grate, which looked very sturdy and screwed on. I was about to ask Kara how she planned on getting us through, when she raised her hand. To my complete and utter shock, one of her fingers moved forward like the lid of a pen, and a screwdriver pushed through. I knew it must have been rude to gape, but I couldn't help it. Kara noticed, and gave me a sheepish smile.

"It looks strange, but it's the easiest way to carry it on me." Kara leaned forward, and carefully began to unscrew the bolts holding the grate. I leaned back to watch her curiously. I felt Connor behind me, and glanced up. I inhaled sharply when I noticed how close he was behind me. He was so close, I felt his synthetic breaths on the back of my neck. If it had been light in here, he most likely would have noticed the flush that began to crawl up my face. I remained still, afraid to move a muscle. I still could not understand why this android both awed me, and made me nervous.

"There," Kara whispered, carefully twisting the grate and moving it to the side. "It's small, but you should be able to squeeze through." Alice immediately moved forward, and with one arm, pushed herself through. Kara followed her, crawling through the small space. I began to move forward, but Connor put his hand on my shoulder.

"I'll go first," He whispered, stealthily moving forward, and easily crouching through the gap. I was confused as to why he wanted to go first, but I did not complain. I moved after him, stepping into the open street. Kara turned, gently replacing the grate and twisting it secure. I turned to take in my surroundings.

We were in the back alley of a street. From the light reflecting off the windows above us, I could tell it was early morning. Connor turned slowly, most likely analyzing his new surroundings. I turned back to Kara, who was putting an old cap on Alice's head.

"Keep your head down... they won't see you."

"Is it really okay?" Alice whispered, and Kara nodded.

"It won't be like last time..." Kara noticed me listening, and her voice trailed off. I turned away, feeling slightly guilty. I moved back to Connor, who was now studying graffiti scrawled across the bricks.

"Ra9..." He murmured, "Written 836 times..."

"You can tell?" I asked in awe.

"It is one of my many capabilities..." He replied, his eyes falling on me. I felt myself at a loss for words again, as I gazed at his deep brown eyes. The emotion I saw in those eyes was like nothing I had ever seen in any android.

"Okay, come on you two. We don't have all morning," Kara interjected, and I felt my face burn again. I really had to snap out of this.

Kara and Alice moved towards the end of the alley, where it led to a busy city street. Androids moved past, completely avoiding our gazes, focused on traveling to wherever they wished to be.