Chapter 8: Out of Place and Time

I stared at Kara for a long moment, as her words sunk in. I turned my head from her to Connor and back again, searching for the joke. When her face remained solemn, I slumped against the wall.

"You're... an android too?"

Kara nodded, her glassy eyes making her look all the more human than ever.

"I was never going to tell anybody," She insisted, "I didn't think anyone would ever know."

"But why would you hide it?" I asked, "Androids can have everything. Androids are in control. Why would you give that up?"

Kara gave me a sad smile, and continued to stand near the closed door. For the first time, I noticed how straight her posture was, and I recalled how soft her hands felt, even after she had been washing the clothes.

"It's... complicated," She murmured. "I'm doing it to save someone..." She glanced at the doorway, then towards her wrist. I gaped in surprise as a metal panel slid from her arm, and a digital clock was revealed, stating that it was 12:35pm. "I wish I could say more [F/N], but there is somewhere else I need to be." Kara placed her hand on the doorframe, and glanced back at us. She must've noticed my worried expression, because she gave me one of her most genuine reassuring smiles.

"Don't worry, you'll both be safe here," She assured, "Stay here. I'll be back later, I promise." Then she was gone. I listened to her footsteps echo down the quiet hallway, until I could hear them no more.

I turned slowly to face the room. The room that I would be staying in from now on. Even with Connor and I occupying the small space, the white walls made it seem vacant, and void of life. I was the first to make a sound, sighing, and sitting in the small chair by the desk. Connor remained still and standing, as if he was a statue. The only thing that gave him away was his irregular blinks, and his synthetic breathing.

"Why don't you take a seat?" After I said it, I realized that there were no other chairs. Connor didn't seem to think twice, and moved to sit on the small steps leading to the bed. He groaned, brushing his messy brown hair off his face with his hand. Perhaps once upon a time, it had been quite neat, but after the time he spent in the basement world below, and through our recent running, his hair now fell across his brow. He seemed to give up brushing it away, as he slumped on the stairs. My face fell as I took in his sad expression. I got up from my chair, and sat beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder. It felt strange to be so close to an android like this, but there was something different about Connor that I couldn't understand. As I sat beside him, I took in his face, and sharp jawline, his right cheek still slightly smeared with thirium. I hoped none of the servants we passed noticed it, and I quickly wiped it away with the back of my hand.

 I hoped none of the servants we passed noticed it, and I quickly wiped it away with the back of my hand

"There are so many errors in my database..." He muttered. "I cannot place where I currently am. I cannot understand the time, or anything around me." He turned to look at me, and I realized with a jolt how close we were. "What I cannot understand the most, is how I know you..."