Chapter 2: Thief

I stole the potion. It was far easier than I thought it would be. All it took was time, and a little bit of distraction. When the merchant was not looking, I was easily able to slip the blue vial into the pocket of my old dress, and dart away. No one noticed anything, or realized what I now had in my possession.

Giddy with the thought of holding such a prized item, I continued making my way through the crowds, sure that I had managed to evade capture.

Soon after, I returned to Lyra's house, and found her and Alonce together in the old sitting room at the back of the house. Alonce looked up at me as I stood in the doorway, and his eyes glinted as if he had just been crying.

"I... I brought something to help Lyra," I said softly, pulling the vial out of my pocket. The glow of the liquid cast blue light around the walls, and it made Lyra blink up in surprise.

"How did you... Where did you get that?" Alonce asked in awe, as I moved to sit beside them.

"Don't ask... just use it." Alonce nodded, moving to take the vial, holding it gently as if it might break under his touch. Shakily, he pulled the cap off, and gently tipped the glowing liquid between Lyra's open lips. He made sure to not miss a single drop as he carefully poured the liquid. When the small vial was half empty, he gently placed it to the side, and clasped his hands over Lyra.

"Please..." He begged, "Please let this work..."

I too closed my eyes, and asked that if there is some kind of hope, please let it be what saves Lyra. When I opened my eyes seconds later, I could already see changes in the girl. Her skin was less pale, the pasty areas beginning to fill with colour. It was as if she was being reborn before my eyes.

"Alonce!" I gasped, and he opened his eyes, to see his sister being restored to life. As we watched, she returned almost to normal, the only traces of her sickness being slight scars on her face and arms. She was asleep now, her breathing soft and calm.

"You saved her..." He whispered in awe, "I can't believe it. She's going to survive." He hugged me, and for the first time, I allowed myself to smile too.

We did not talk about my fate. We knew that although I had managed to steal the potion so easily, security was high in the slums. There was a chance that I had not managed to make it out unscathed after all.

When I said goodbye to Alonce that evening, I said it as if it was for the last time. He told me to be careful on my way to my home, and to watch out for the cybernetic droids that patrolled the city.

I considered running, and hiding out in the city, but I knew the security was worse there. My best option at surviving was returning to the place I knew best.

I did not even make it through the night.

When I awoke to hear my door being forced open, I was confronted by hovering police droids, and human guard. I tried to escape before they caught me, but they were too well prepared, and locked my wrists in obsidian chains.

"[F/N] [L/N]," The hovering droid read from a digital statement. "You are under arrest for the theft of possessions. You will be coming with us."

The human gripped my shoulder, and I was forced along with them. I gave my apartment one final look, before the broken door was forced shut again. I kicked and clawed at my captors desperately, but the chains only bound me tighter.

The guard shoved me onto the back of a hovering vehicle, designed specially for the containment of criminals. I gripped onto the bars at my window as I felt the vehicle launch through the air. Slightly nauseous feelings washed over me as I looked down at the rushing slums of Jericho far below me. In order to avoid the traffic, police vehicles took high to the skies. Seeing the world spread before me was something I had always been curious about, and yet in this moment, I only wished to feel my feet firmly on the ground again.