Chapter 10: Memories like Stars

According to the clock on Kara's arm, the time was 8:45pm by the time I returned to Connor. I had not intended to leave him on his own for so long, but Kara's story had distracted me. I still could not fully understand her determination, and the reason why she needed our help. In any case, I planned on discussing it with Connor, and hoping that his internal processors could organize a workable plan.

When I opened door #13 however, all thoughts of the plan faded from my mind.

The lights were off in the room, but the room was not dark in the slightest. Small lights danced over the walls, some in gold and silver hues, others tinged in purple and blue. I felt like I was in the night sky, a galaxy all on my own. I stepped forward, closing the door behind me, and letting my mind sink into the oasis I had stumbled into.

"Do you like it?" I heard a soft voice, and I gazed around, until my eyes fell on Connor. I saw his silhouette in front of the fabricated glass, and beyond it, to the window-screen where thousands of stars shone. They reflected from the screen, cascading what seemed to be an entire universe around the room.

"It's beautiful..." I gasped, turning slowly. "Truly beautiful."

I had never seen the stars quite like this. Where I used to live, the sky was always covered by thick layers of smoke from the factories. I had read about the night sky in old english books, but I had never imagined that it would look so beautiful.

"It has changed from my time too," Connor whispered, placing his hand on the glass. "I am registering the new stars, and constellations in my database." I hesitantly walked over to him, and sat on the other side of the windowsill. We both gazed into the sky together, and in that moment, I felt completely at peace.

I continued to ask Connor about the stars, and he told me each of their names. Some of the stars remained the same from his time, sometimes slightly dimmer than before. Others were new stars, ones that he had not yet registered. Connor told me about each of the stars, and the meanings behind them. It seemed like hours passed, as I listened to Connor list off the various galaxies so far away from us.

"What's that one called?" I eventually asked, pointing at a particularly beautiful star, one with a slight purple hue. Connor followed my gaze, and his eyes took in the star.

"It's a new star, one that did not exist in my time..." He finally said, taking his time with his words. Slowly, he returned his gaze to me, and I felt myself inhale at the deep look in his eyes. "I named it [F/N]. I thought it was fitting."

I gazed back at Connor for a long time, unsure of what to say. Then his words began to sink in, and I felt my face heat up. Wait, was I blushing?! I forced my eyes away from him, trying to take in his words.

"W-Why would you name a star after me?" I finally blurted out, becoming more flustered by the second. Connor blinked back at me, not flustered or embarrassed in the slightest.

"Because it was bright, and beautiful and it reminded me of you."

Okay, that was enough. If I stayed there any longer, I was going to combust. I stood up, knowing that Connor could most likely sense my change in heart rate.

"T-Thank you Connor... that's very kind," I muttered, moving towards the bed. "I am tired now, so I think I'll just go to bed. Goodnight." Without bothering to take off my uniform, I crawled under the soft blankets, and pulled the covers over my head.

It was a long time before I could calm down enough to sleep. My thoughts remained on Connor until that time, until they slowly faded into darkness. I had wanted to tell Connor all that Kara told me, but I couldn't stay conscious. I let myself drift into sleep.