Chapter 15: Connor's New Mission

I knew I was awake, yet I still did not open my eyes. My head was pounding, and I simply stared at the backs of my eyelids. I could tell from the warmth on my face, and the light flooding into my dark world that I must have been outside, or in a place with sunlight. I heard birds around me, and the rustling of branches and leaves in the breeze.

I was lying on something hard, but there was a pillow underneath my head. Even on the rough surface I was lying on, the soft place around my head brought me comfort.

My breaths still rasped, and I realized that I must have been sick. Perhaps I caught it after staying in the cold prison cell for an entire night. Or maybe it was when I was in that place underneath Ra9's tower, that world where I discovered Connor for the first time. I could not tell.

My thoughts cut off abruptly as I heard a voice right beside me... or perhaps above me.

"I cannot do that..." It was Connor's voice, and to my surprise, he sounded very serious. It seemed he was in mid-coversation with someone.

"Connor, you need to really think about this..." Kara replied, her voice sounding from around my feet. "Is this really what you want?"

Connor was quiet after that for a long moment, and I heard him exhale.

"I know what you want me to say..." He replied, "You want me to let her go. You want me to help the revolution; to help you, and Lucy, and everyone else..." He paused, seemingly waiting for a response, before continuing. "I am not a deviant. I had never anticipated that I could reawaken in this time. But even if I did, that does not mean I am any different from the machine I used to be."

I continued to listen, and I could imagine Kara shaking her head.

"You were deviant from the moment you opened your eyes Connor," I heard a slight smile in her voice, "No one is here to give you missions anymore. You are free."

"I can never be free..." He replied solemnly, "I am still a machine. And so are you, and every other android here. They are all... just machines."

This conversation went back and forth, and I listened quietly, drifting in the place between sleep and waking life. After a while, I was unsure if I was simply dreaming the whole thing up.

"You care about [F/N], don't you?" Kara finally asked, and I felt my breath catch slightly. It seemed neither android noticed.

"She is the one who helped me come back to life. I thought it was not possible for an android to come back, but she worked against all odds..." Connor said softly, "I owe her my life, and I cannot forget that."

"How long are you going to stay with her?" Kara continued, "How long are you going to protect her?"

"As long as I need to."

It was silent again for a long moment, and I wondered if I had fallen into sleep. Then suddenly, I felt a shift under my head, and moments later, my head was on the same stone surface as the rest of my body. I heard Connor rise to his feet, and it sounded as if Kara did the same.

"Connor, you can't get close to her."

A pain coursed through my heart at Kara's words. Why would she say something like that? I tried to erased the groggy feeling from my mind, and I opened my eyes slightly.

I was outside, in the garden, as I had suspected. Connor stood nearby, facing Kara, hands in the pockets of his servant uniform. Kara stood facing him, her hands clasped in front of her, as if pleading.

"Please Connor, hear me out..." She sighed, moving to clutch her hands by her sides. Then she began to pace away, towards the trees in the garden. "I have spent countless years with humans. It's been painful... so painful." She turned back to Connor, a sad look on her face. "Our lifespans are vastly different. I've seen humans become weak, or injured. Humans have a strong will, stronger than anyone else, but their bodies are fragile. Us androids can replace parts when they get damaged, or even transfer our consciousness to a whole other body if need be." Kara seemed to reach out to Connor, then drew her hand back, reconsidering. "But humans only have one life... and one body. If they get badly injured, or sick, it is almost impossible for them to recover from it."