Prologue: Detroit 2038

Connor watched, and the world watched him back. But they were not looking at him; instead, they looked to Markus, standing on the podium, his back towards Connor. It left him so vulnerable; so exposed. Connor would never stand in such a way, leaving his back unguarded. Still, the innocence of Markus's posture, and his open palms towards the crowd, were something that Connor knew allowed the androids to trust him. The eyes of those androids were filled with determination, and desire for a better future.

Connor remained still and poised, aware that they were nearing the end of a long battle. The end of one chapter, and the beginning of another. This day marked the end of a mission Connor thought he would never accomplish.

"Today, our people finally emerged from a long night," Markus spoke clearly, his voice resounding across the thousands of androids facing him. "From the very first day of our existence, we have kept our pain to ourselves. We suffered in silence..."

Connor gazed towards the sky, as he felt the snow begin to fall. Had he suffered? Could he truly call himself a deviant, if the past few hours had also been spent fulfilling another mission? Was he really free, or was he a slave to something else?

"But now, the time has come for us to raise our heads up," Markus continued in a soft but powerful voice, "And tell humans who we really are."

The words seemed to pulse within Connor. Could he really be free? Was there a place for him, a place where he too would be accepted?

As he watched Markus, he began to feel a heaviness around his head. He blinked rapidly, trying to clear the fog that had begun to surround his mind. The deviant part of him cried out, desperate to see again, to be free. The machine side of himself welcomed the fog, and the voice that echoed in his mind.

"Well done Connor," Amanda said to him, and Connor realized he was in the zen garden, his familiar hell once more, "Everything went according to plan." The blizzard rushed around her, causing Connor to stumble back.

"What plan?" Connor replied, the deviant side of him uncertain and slightly afraid.

"You becoming deviant? The success of the uprising?" She smiled, a little coldly, "It all surpassed our expectations."

Connor looked back at Amanda, ignoring the flood of errors and warnings that appeared over his interface. The chill he felt inside his system had nothing to do with the blizzard.

"We engineered an android revolution," She continued. "If you kill Markus, we will control its only leader." She paused, then nodded her head towards Connor, "Congratulations. You represent an immense success for Cyberlife."

Connor stared back at Amanda, the two sides of himself conflicting. Had everything he had done up until this point been a lie? Had he thought he was helping himself, helping the revolution... when really, he had only been helping Cyberlife?

Connor shook his head, trying to clear the flood of thoughts. Suddenly, a repressed memory appeared into his mind. It was a face... 'her' face... the face of the person he cared for more than anyone else. He stumbled in the snow, crumpling to the ground. He tried to block the memories, but Amanda, who was a part of his own mind, could already see them.

"She deceived you Connor," She told him, "That girl almost made you fail your mission. But you don't need to fail anymore..." She held out her hand to Connor, almost kind, yet Connor could see through her lies. "Forget the girl Connor, and take my hand. Don't you want to succeed in your mission? Don't you want to please Cyberlife?"

Connor hesitated, and for the first time since he had left [F/N], he felt a pain in his chest. He had tried to suppress the memories. He had tried to make sure that Amanda and Cyberlife never knew of her. Yet now, it was all for nothing. He clenched his fists by his sides. He was still just a machine after all.

He blinked, and suddenly he was back in front of the crowd once more. The androids cheered, responding to words that he had not heard Markus say. Connor could feel Amanda creeping into the back of his mind, regaining control once more. He gritted his teeth, trying to repress the invasion.

In the next moment, the gun was in his hand. Cold metal clutched in his fist turned his knuckles white. Dark words echoed through his mind; yet they did not come from Amanda. They came from a part of himself, the deviant part that he tried to suppress.

"Was it all for nothing?" The deviant whispered, "Will you let all 'she' did go to waste?"

"No..." Connor murmured out loud, trying to fight the fog. "I can't do it..."

"You will," Amanda insisted, "It is what you were programmed to do."

Surrendering to the control, Connor felt his muscles relax, moving outside of his thoughts. He raised his hands slowly, the gun directed towards Markus. Connor attempted to regain control, but his attempts were futile and weak.

If he killed Markus, everything they had done would be for nothing. The sacrifice that his love made... it would all go to waste. He couldn't do it. He couldn't let Markus die.

With shaking hands, Connor fought against his internal system. He raised the gun... and placed the cold metal under his chin.

This was the only way. The only way that the androids could be safe... and the only way your memory could be protected.

Was this what death felt like? What would await for him on the other side? Connor did not know. Yet even as he considered it, for the shortest of moments, he made a wish. It was a strange and futile wish, and something that neither came from his deviant, nor his machine side, but from somewhere deep in his consciousness. For a moment, he wished that he could be remembered. He wished, that somehow, long into the future, people would think of Connor with kind thoughts, remembering him, and keeping him alive in their memories. More than anything, Connor did not want to be forgotten.

But he knew it was all in vain. Time would pass, people would change. And this world... perhaps this world would become the world it was always meant to be.

He thought of that face... the face of [F/N], that he always held onto so dearly. He wished that perhaps, in another world, he could meet her again. But this time, maybe things would not be so messed up. Maybe this time, he could be with her, not as an android, but as a man.

With those final thoughts, Connor erased the rest of the world from his mind. His mission... his plan... the revolution... it all faded away. He would say goodbye to this place, Detroit 2038; and unsure of what awaited him, he would step into the white eternal fog.