Chapter 13: The Plan

I gazed around in awe at all the people that filled the small church room. As we followed Kara and Alice inside, conversation abruptly stopped, and faces turned towards us. I felt my face heat up as I felt their eyes on me, studying me, sometimes curious, sometimes with fear.

"You brought in more Kara?" A larger woman muttered, pulling three small children towards her and holding them close. "We already have too many mouths to feed over here!"

"Don't worry Carla, they're going to help us!"

The woman scoffed, but said no more as we continued through the room. I saw another younger boy whispering to another, pointing towards Connor. I realized with a jolt that Connor's hair had fallen from his temple, revealing his red LED for all to see.

"C-Connor, your LED!!" I whispered, standing on my toes and trying to cover the LED again, even though I knew it was already too late. Kara giggled ahead of us.

"It's alright. You don't have to hide it."

I turned back, to look at Kara in surprise. When I did, I noticed that Alice also had her LED on display, and no one was giving her a second glance. This truly was a place where androids and humans could co-exist. I turned slowly, taking in this strange new place. I could not help but feel slightly afraid, as well as awed. All my life, I had been taught to fear the androids, who were so far stronger and powerful than us. Yet in this place, humans and androids lived and accepted each other equally. As I gazed around the room, I saw androids talking with humans, respecting them on an equal level. I saw androids preparing food, and sharing it amongst the humans. I even saw some androids taking care of young children. In this place, the androids were kind, respectful, and in return, the humans respected them.

"Connor, isn't this amazing?" I murmured, my mind still racing to adjust to the sudden change in people around me.

"Yes... I suppose it is," Connor replied softly, and I turned to look at him. Even though his words sounded calm, his red LED gave him away.

"What is it?"

Connor remained silent for a long moment, then absently brushed his hair off his face with his right hand.

"I don't know what they have in store for us..." He finally said, "Kara brought us here for a reason. But I cannot predict what it is."

"She told me that she wanted our help," I replied, "I think she just wants more people, humans and androids on her side." Connor shook his head before I was even finished.

"It just doesn't add up," He continued, "I can sense that she is not being truthful. Yet... I don't know what the lie is." He frowned, gripping his head slightly. "My processors are still unequipped with the latest data... damn it all..." I flinched slightly, never expecting to hear Connor say profanity. This android continued to surprise me more and more. Unsure of how to respond, I turned back to Kara... to find her missing. Alice was missing also.

I looked around the room, before I spotted Kara alone, near a doorway leading to a back room of the church. When she noticed me staring, she waved me over, and Connor and I hesitantly approached. His words continued to weigh heavily in the back of my mind, 'I can sense that she is not being truthful. Yet... I don't know what the lie is.'

Yet Kara had also voiced her doubts about Connor, and those words also caused a sense of panic in my mind. 'Even though you were the one who woke up Connor, and Connor was the one who saved you, please be careful around him. I'm not sure if he can be trusted.'

If Connor and Kara both doubted each other, how could I possibly know who to trust? These doubts weighed in my mind, as I moved to stand in front of Kara.