Chapter 7: Awakened

I couldn't speak or breath as his eyes focused on me. They were a beautiful rich brown colour, curious and deep, as if they had an entire world within them. He blinked slowly, his LED flickering from red to amber and back again.

"I know you..." He whispered, his voice soft and full of confusion. I was immediately confused too. Out of everything I had expected it to say first, that was not it. The android winced slightly, turning his head slowly in pain, staring at the brambles curled around him.

"I-I'll find something to remove the thorns," I said quickly, turning to search in the darkness for something sharp. As I searched, I heard the android struggle again to move, sighing when his attempts failed.

"Where am I?" He whispered, and even though his words were soft, they echoed around the dark room.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know either..." I replied honestly, "I think we're in some kind of basement."

The android groaned, a very human sound. I peered up at him, his face illuminated by the glowing LED on his head. He was moving his hands, trying to pull the brambles off himself. I turned, searching more desperately in the darkness, until I came across the body of a human guard with a dagger. I reluctantly pulled the dagger from it's sheath, taking in the rusted blade. It wasn't much, but it would have to do.

I returned to the newly awakened android, working to carefully cut away the brambles holding him to the beam. The brambles were tough, but I kept a steady hand, and determination helped me to pull through.

"Is this Cyberlife tower?" The android whispered, and I had no idea what he was talking about.

"This is a place called Jericho... At least, I think it's still Jericho..." I muttered, my focus trained on the sharp thorns around his left wrist.

"Jericho?" He replied, "B-But that... that can't be possible..." He took in the room again, and blinked in confusion. "My internal clocks are faulty. I can't perceive the current date. Tell me, what year is this?"

"It's 2596," I answered, and the android gaped at me in shock and horror.

"2596..." He repeated, and I had never seen such a look of despair cross the face of an android. "No..." He whispered, closing his eyes in pain. His LED flickered, and I assumed he was sorting through old memories.

I finally managed to cut the android free, and he slumped to the ground, holding his head in his hands. I crouched beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you okay?"

"Everything is gone..." He said softly, such despair in his voice that it left a pang in my heart.

"What's your name?" I asked, and the android gazed up at me, as if remembering I was still there.

"My name is..." He hesitated, "Connor... yes, that's what they used to call me."

"Connor?"

He nodded solemnly. "It's been so long since I have heard that name... and yet, it only feels like seconds have passed." He took in the room once again, shaking his head slightly. "How did this happen?" He asked it, but didn't seem to expect an answer.

"Do you remember anything from before?"

"I remember too much..." He said, his voice full of sorrow. "I remember everything. Even up to the moment of my death..." Connor gave me a pained expression. "If this really is the year that you say it is... then everything, and everyone I knew is gone."

I felt my heart clench in sadness for this android. From his appearance, it was likely that he was quite old. Having so many memories from the past stored in his mind would be difficult. I stood up slowly, and helped him to his feet. I wanted to know all about his past, the memories, and what happened to him; but first, we needed to escape.