Chapter 9: Kara and Alice

Within that small room, I told Connor of the world outside. I told him of the buildings, the humans all scrambling to find shelter, the androids above us all. I described our jobs, our way of life, the daily happenings for humans. Connor listened patiently, and I could tell that he was taking in all the information through the flickering of his LED from red to amber. When I finally finished, Connor gazed at me in awe, seemingly both confused and transfixed to hear about this new place he was in. He opened his mouth a few times, and closed it again, unsure of what next to say.

"Have you seen any large freighter?" He finally, asked, gazing at me intently.

"A... what?"

"Nevermind..." He muttered, his LED continuing to flicker. "Your information has been helpful. I registered it in my database. Thank you for telling me this."

"It's okay..." I replied, watching as Connor stood, pressing a hand to the fake glass window. I noticed how the synthetic sunlight was beginning to set behind the tall buildings of Jericho. For a false screen, it looked very realistic.

"This world is strange and confusing for me..." He said softly. "But I will try to understand it the best I can." I smiled, about to reply, before a knock at the door stopped me.

"[F/N], it's me. I finished my tasks," Without waiting, Kara pushed open the door, looking from me, to Connor in front of the window. I took in Kara's form, and even smudged with dirt as she was, I couldn't deny how pretty she was.

"Are you hungry?" She asked. "Why don't you come and have something to eat?" She held out her hand to me. I glanced back at Connor, still poised and silent in front of the window. He seemed so transfixed in the world outside, that I did not want to interrupt him. I knew that he was already listening to us anyway, so I took Kara's hand and let her lead me outside.

We walked quietly up the empty corridor. As we walked, Kara told me that everyone else was already there, as they knew their routine. Since I was only becoming familiar with this place now, she was going to help me settle in.

"Are you going to get in trouble?" I asked her, "For allowing me to stay in that room I mean..."

"Well, not if anyone finds out..." She giggled, "The truth is, not a lot of servants get promoted to a higher rank, except for those who have worked under Ra9 for many years." She paused in thought, "Even with that, none of the higher androids pay mind to the servants, so they wouldn't notice someone new, like you. When any of us wears our uniform, we seem to disappear from their sight entirely."

"Then what about when you--" I began to say, but Kara hushed me. I gazed ahead, to see a small white drone move down the corridor. We kept silent as it passed by, and whizzed down the hallway. Kara exhaled, and we continued to move towards the elevator.

"Sorry about that. Those drones are everywhere," She whispered. "I wish I could tell you everything, but I can't right now. We have to be careful." I nodded, as we stepped into the elevator, then watched her with curiosity as she pressed multiple buttons.

"Floor -10" She told me, "That's where we go to eat." I nodded, feeling a familiar wave of nausea cross me as we descended.

"How do you know Connor?" I asked her, but she simply shook her head.

"I wish I could tell you, but it's not safe here. I will tell you later, I promise."

It seemed only seconds had passed, before the elevator stuttered to a stop. The doors slid open, and what awaited me inside shocked me to my core.

The room was small, and I could see across to the other side. And yet inside the room, what seemed to be over a hundred human servants were all eating, talking, or caring for little children. I was completely startled, as I took in the scene in front of me, and the smell of overcooked food.