Second year | Terrible day, really

Today was supposed to be a good day, but my day went downhill at breakfast in the Great hall. After talking to Malfoy last night, I went back to ignoring his existence.

Blaise was sitting at the table with Millicent, both had everything on their plate. They left very little kippers for me.

"Mail should be here soon." Blaise said.

I sat down and barely took a bite of porridge when a hundred owls came rushing in. I saw Astraeus lowering and he dropped a parcel for me.

"Wow, first day and you have a parcel." Millicent held up a single letter in disgust.

"I'm sure it's just last minute stuff from my parents." I began tearing the wrappings.

I nearly dropped the box when I heard the familiar sounds of a Howler.

"—STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET AHOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE—" the voice of Mrs. Weasley yelled.

I looked at an embarrassed Ron and gave him a sympathetic look.

"—LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD'VE BOTH DIED—"

I saw Malfoy was laughing with the Slytherin table. I frowned when I saw it, but he didn't care if I did.

"—ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED—YOUR FATHERS FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME."

The red envelope burst into flames and curled into ashes. Malfoy and the Slytherins' laughter became louder after that, so I got up and went to the Gryffindor table. I sat in front of Ron, Harry, and Hermione, much to everyone's surprise.

"Well, though it was harsh, I'd say you got what you deserved for pulling such a stunt." I sighed.

Ron's mouth was open, "Why are you on her side?"

"I'm not Ron, but there will always be consequences with your actions. Just...making you wiser." I got up with my bag on my shoulder.

Hermione closed her book and gave Ron a look.

"Don't worry Hermione, I'll get him back in his place, it's my job."

They looked at me confused, "Since when?"

"Since that wand of yours broke, with a temper and new spells, that could cause serious damage," I pointed out, giving them a small smile. "Don't think I'm mean though, I like you guys."

With that I left for the Herbology classroom. Millicent and Blaise came soon after, there we waited with the rest of the Gryffindors and Slytherins.

"Have you been reading any of Lockhart's books?" Millicent asked.

I shook my head, "Those are the only books I'll never read, I'd like to die without knowing anything about the man."