1

NOW

The moment Renesmee opens her eyes, she realizes it's a day she wishes it wasn't. It's yet another September day for many people. Not for her. It's the eleventh of September. And it's her birthday. Renesmee doesn't know how to feel about that. She is turning sixteen today. She should be elated that she can learn how to drive. But vehicles don't interest her. Besides, she takes medicines and has been for some time. Even if she wants to, it's dangerous for her to be behind the wheel while being on antidepressants.

The young girl rubs her eyes and stretches her arms, letting a yawn. She wonders what her parents have bought her for her birthday. She knows if she could, her dad would have bought her a flashy car and would have paid for her driving lessons. He must be terribly disappointed in her.

He is probably shaking his head downstairs, listening to his daughter's thoughts. And indeed he is. Hasn't his child seen how much progress she's made?

Bella can't help but notice her husband's bewildered face. She can feel her face mimicking his as she places her palm on his shoulder, "Love, it will be alright," She tries to soothe, but she has never been good with words.

Her charm seems to work. Edward's lips form a sad smile as his fingers intertwine with Bella's.

And at this moment, with slow steps as if she is dreading this day (which she probably is), Renesmee comes downstairs. Her hair is in a braided messy bun and she is wearing a red sweater over a dress with a Peter Pan collar. If one looks at her, one will never be able to tell that it's her birthday today. Sixteen-year-old girls tend to get all dolled up on their special day. But Renesmee isn't like every other girl. And she is fully aware that she'll never be.

"Are you sure you will be okay, sweetie?", Bella asks, worried about her child just like every other mother. And she has the right to do so. Her daughter has been a wreck for so long.

"Mom, don't worry about me," Renesmee says and tries to smile to convince her mother that she will be okay. She has her friends. What can go wrong?

The walk to school seems longer than usual even with Renesmee's favourite music. She wonders whether her friends have forgotten her birthday or not. And as if God has been listening to her thoughts like her father tends to do, her phone beeps. It is a message. With shaking fingers, the girl opens it and when she reads it, a tiny smile forms on her face:

Happy Sweet Sixteen, Wren!

It's Wyatt Marin - one of the boys Renesmee has met during the previous school year. His friendly smile and eyes full of curiosity kind of remind her of Jacob. But those aren't the only reasons why she is his friend.

Renesmee replies to his message quicker than the rest of her friends and hurries up to school, hoping she will catch them all before class. She doesn't share many classes with them, unfortunately. So they spend plenty of time before and after their school activities. Like today, for example. Renesmee has planned to celebrate her birthday with a movie and a dinner at McDonald's. She is not good at planning parties, even her own ones. Besides, ever since her "perfect" thirteenth birthday, she would rather not be the centre of the attention.

She wants to feel normal. Normal people binge on bad food while laughing at stupid jokes.

And so can she.