3

NOW

When Renesmee arrives at school, all she can see is balloons. They're everywhere - around her locker, on the entrance. Why? Is this for her birthday? Today people should be mourning, not celebrating.

Of course, her friends and family will disagree.

Then again, Renesmee used to love celebrating her birthday... until the traitor left.

No wonder why she has planned to take her friends to McDonald's and a movie.

"Happy birthday!", her group of friends exclaim before pulling her into a group hug, careful not to squish her or the presents they've bought for her. Only one person hasn't joined.

The moment her friends let go of her, Renesmee is face to face with a grand bouquet of all of her favourite flowers. And behind it it's Wyatt. Who else? Ever since he met her, Wyatt has always liked Renesmee. He often wondered if she felt the same.

"These are for you," he hands her the flowers and he swears he can see a blush creeping on her cheeks, underlining her light freckles that she may or may not have inherited from her father's side of the family. More specifically - Elizabeth Masen, her biological grandmother. Her father often tells her she reminds him of her. And he has adored, literally idolized his mother back in the day. It's almost surprising that his own daughter doesn't carry the name of his mother. But it has been Bella's choice how to name their child. And he has respected that. Besides "Renesmee" is a somewhat fitting name. It means "reborn" and "loved".

Renesmee flashes her big smile at Wyatt. She hasn't smiled like that for the longest time, the last one being with Jacob. And her friends can see that. They know Wyatt will make her happy. It's about time she realizes this too.

During class, the teachers don't fail to congratulate Renesmee for her birthday and so so her classmates. It's peculiar that Renesmee was born on the eleventh of September, a National tragedy, but so have many people.

The teacher shakes her head laughing, "Alright, alright, sit down, everyone!", as the class has just finished singing a funny birthday song to Renesmee that would make even the quietest students giggle.

"Sit dow, everyone! I have an important announcement to make!", the teacher instructs as the class quickly takes their seats, giggling, full of enthusiasm and eager to learn.

Renesmee rests her chin on her palm as she focuses on the voice of her teacher, who explains the special assignment. It's not as simple. The students have to write a letter in which they express their feelings and they have to address it to an important person in their life.

The hybrid is caught off-guard. She takes a deep breath, trying to soothe herself. Every secret has time when it should be revealed. But is Renesmee ready for hers? She doesn't feel so.

The teacher knows there's something more behind her student's warm brown eyes. That is what has inspired the special assignment.

Throughout the rest of the day, the young girl's mind is preoccupied with thoughts about the homework. She knows she has to complete it. She can't afford to fail the class or she might have to repeat the year. But how can she let her true feelings out on a piece of paper? She's not Anne Frank.

Renesmee bites her lip harshly, hoping everybody is too preoccupied with their own minds to notice that her lunch has been barely touched.