12

NOW

It is one of those rare sunny days in the reservation of La Push. The residents barely get to be greeted by the rays of the fiery sun, instead used to rain droplets on their car windows.

Billy Black wheels himself out of his small red house. It's time to check the mail. The elderly man doesn't expect to receive anything new, except for random flyers, advertising food delivery. Only useless stuff.

Until he finds a letter mailed to Jacob that makes him raise his eyebrow. Who would write to his son? Why not call or Skype him? There is something, called the Internet.

Even the address is peculiar. It is the address of what seems to be a public school.

It's even more bizarre who the sender is - it's Renesmee Carlie Cullen. Billy hasn't heard anything of her for the past three years, ever since Jacob left the Cullens and then they moved away.

"Ah, Jacob... why did you do this?", he mutters to himself, wheeling himself to put the mail inside.

His son opens the door to help his dad when he notices the mail in his hand. "More bills?", he raises his eyebrow.

Billy shakes his head, "Actually, that one is for you," and shoves Renesmee's letter in Jake's hand. The young shapeshifter is left stunned. For him? Who would have written to him? Each and every one of his friends has his phone number.

The man's eyes widen when he sees the name of the mailer - a name he doubted he would see or hear anytime soon. Not after what happened three years ago.

"Renesmee", he whispers, tears filling his eyes.

His father reaches out for him as if his son was a toddler, learning how to walk. Blissful times!

Jacob, without hesitation, accepts Billy's warm embrace, tears running violently down his face. If only he could turn back time, then maybe he would have fought to stay in his imprintee's life. Instead, he made a mistake.

"Why did I do this? Why?", he is wailing in his father's arms.

"Shh, son," Billy soothes, "You can fix this. See? She has reached out for you. This is your chance!"

Indeed, he is right, not only because he is older and wiser. Billy has had more life experience than Jacob. He has accidentally hurt other people too, including his deceased wife Sarah. But at the end of the day, he has always managed to fix things. It always takes a little bit of time, a little bit of wondering and pondering.

"Don't forget, son, morning is always wiser than night time!", he reminds before he goes to the living room to watch sports.

That night, Jacob doesn't sleep. He writes and rewrites the letter until he feels more than satisfied with it. He sincerely hopes he has explained everything. He is even more hopeful that Renesmee will understand him and forgive him.

And a month later, it is delivered to Renesmee's school.