6

THEN

In the Cullen house, on the morning of the twelfth of September, only Renesmee Cullen's accelerating heartbeat could be heard. She had just been served the news that Jacob Black, her best friend, had left. He wasn't coming back. Ever. He had abandoned everything and everybody... including her.

What if he had gotten hitched to Leah Clearwater in Vegas? Or another woman? Possibly a man?

Renesmee felt sick to her stomach. Just days ago, literally one day before, he had told her about the imprinting and then... he had disappeared faster than lightning. He had taken to his heels God knew where!

The young girl fell to her knees, heartbreaking wails escaping her mouth to the point where her face was redder than a cherry and she was struggling to breathe. She had never felt that way before. Not even her family's condolences could make her see the light through the tunnel. What light? Was there still any hope left in what felt like her shattered world?

Renesmee couldn't sleep for three days and three nights. How could she? A part of her was lost. Who was she without her Jacob? Ever since her birth, he had always been there - for everything. He had held her hands when she was learning how to walk. He would direct her to her potty chair and help her parents change her diapers. He had been the one to teach her how to swim and ride a bicycle and a skateboard, while her parents were too caught up in their perfect piece of forever. And he had promised to teach her how to drive. None of that was going to happen. Now, he was far away from her. And he was never coming back.

All that was left now were the memories of her blissful childhood that had just ended.

And then, only one month later, the nightmares had begun. And then the flashbacks. And the trembling. And the feeling of being sick to her stomach.

It was the traumatic journey to what felt like hell for the young girl.

As soon as Renesmee had been diagnosed, she had begun therapy with her uncle Jasper, the empath, and had been prescribed medicaments that didn't allow her to drive or to drink alcohol (not that she needed to, she was too young for that).

And years later, the young hybrid is still on the road to getting better. It is not easy for her. Because it takes time, just as everything in this life.