4

THEN

If one had told Renesmee Cullen that Jacob Black wouldn't be present during her whole life, she would have punched them and would have stomped on their feet, her face red, as if it had been painted with anger.

Remember how I said that wishes didn't always come true? Renesmee's was one of these wishes.

On the next morning, the young girl woke up with nothing but dreams and hopes for the future. Now that she was pretty much considered an adolescent (since she identified as such), that would open so many doors in her future. Perhaps she could finally attend school? She couldn't wait to meet new people and make friends, hopefully for life!

Descending down the stairs in nothing but her pyjamas and fluffy slippers, she was whistling a familiar tune, unaware about what was going to happen to her. If she knew her life would change forever that day, she, being the innocent damsel, would have been elated, not understanding that not every change had to be positive.

Whistling and bouncing to the rhythm of her favourite song, Renesmee reached the kitchen where the whole family was waiting for her, sorrow written in their gold-coloured eyes. The hybrid's whistling immediately ceased to an end. What had happened? Had anybody died?

Her mother slowly approached her, unable to look her in the eyes, her hands behind her back, baffling the adolescent.

"Honey," she softly said, almost like a whisper.

Renesmee's eyes rapidly moved back and forth between all of her family members, trying to figure out what was going on. If Jacob was there, he would have attempted to brighten up the mood. Speaking of him, he was nowhere to be found.

"Where is Jacob?", Renesmee asked innocently. Oh, if only she knew!

"Jacob's gone," Bella spat out, "He left and he isn't coming back."

Her mother's words at first seemed like a joke, almost as if it was some sort of a prank or a game. But the more Renesmee read the expressions on her family's faces, the more she realized every word her mother had spoken, sadly, was true.

She could feel her heart skip beats and her breathing shortening. She wanted to pinch herself to reassure herself that it was another strange dream and when she woke up, Jacob would be waiting for her for breakfast and to take her to the reservation.

But, no. He wasn't part of her life anymore. Gone were the days when they would run around in the forest and collect fir cones, which they would later on paint with Rebecca and Sarah Black's old paints. Or when he would take her to the carnival where they would watch short movies in 5D, laughing at whenever one got scared from the realistic effects. He wouldn't be there whenever she needed to confide in him.

He was gone. Truly gone. Forever. She had just lost her best friend.

Her heart was broken - shattered in billion tiny pieces.