2

THEN

The fairy lights Alice had put in the garden created a fairytale-like atmosphere which Renesmee adored. She would later ask her aunt if she could put them into her bedroom after the party. She wanted that beautiful glow in her night as it would help her sleep soundly. Most nights, she had strange dreams. Once, her uncle Jasper had advised her to write them down. Alas, Renesmee wasn't sure if she was into writing. She definitely wasn't into music, which deeply disappointed her father. She didn't like arts and crafts either. Most days, the Cullens or Jacob would find her curled somewhere with a book in hand or her old iPod.

Renesmee was curious about the presents she had received. She wondered whether they would be age-appropriate. Did people see her the age she supposedly was? Or did they count the years she had been alive for? Sometimes she cursed her ageing.

She didn't feel Jacob's presence next to her until he breathed in her ear and startled her:

"Hey," he spoke softly.

Not expecting him, Renesmee gasped, startled. He chuckled at her innocence - one of the traits that he adored about her. Sometimes he wondered whether or not they would experience an eventful story like her parents'. Often he forgot she was too young and inexperienced in comparison with him. At the same time, he felt like she was mature enough to handle anything she was served. So he felt it was about time to reveal a truth she needed to know.

Little did he know it would be the biggest mistake he would make in his life. Or the best one? The future was yet to come.

Jacob extended his arm like a gentleman, expecting Renesmee to hold his hand; and so she did, giggling, feeling giddy, and thinking to herself what a gentleman he was. She was sure he would find a great partner someday. And he would probably have a big, happy family too.

The young girl held onto the shapeshifter's arm as they slowly walked away from the party and into the woods where they would get that one bit of a privacy Jacob needed. As soon as they were away enough from the prying eyes and ears, he gave a signal to stop. The tree branches were creating a large shadow over them, giving more intimacy to the special moment.

Jacob had practised this over and over in front of the mirror. He felt no nerves... no butterflies in his stomach... at that moment, he radiated only confidence, which confused Renesmee. What did he need to tell her? What if he had to leave? What if he couldn't come with them? The Cullens tended to move too often, to protect themselves. Jacob would need to stay close to the pack - he was the alpha.

"Renesmee," he began. He rarely used her full name, much preferring the nickname he had given her at birth - Nessie, after the Loch Ness Monster. It wasn't with ill feelings. All he had thought at the time had been that her name was too mouthful and a nickname wouldn't hurt anybody. Bella had disagreed, obviously, having been the one who had chosen Renesmee's name - to honour her grandparents. Renesmee, herself, didn't mind her name. She only wished people wouldn't forget the extra "e" in the end.

"There's something important that I feel like you're more than ready to know," he went on.

Her eyes lit up immediately. She, who loved learning new things, was more than curious to hear what he wanted to tell her. And the fact that he thought she was old enough to know made her feel better about herself, "Tell me!", she insisted, excited to hear the secret she was about to learn; to her, it meant that adults finally saw her as an almost equal and could trust her. This birthday was definitely the best!

If Jacob had been younger, his hands would have been sweaty, his heart would be palpitating and he would not be able to look anybody in the eyes.

"You know how much you used to love the tale of The Little Red Riding Hood?"

The young girl nodded her head. Indeed this tale was her most favourite. She vividly remembered Jacob reading it to her on a nightly basis when she was a child. Blissful times!

"And you remember the story of how the wolf protected the princess?"

This time Jacob was referencing a traditional Quileute bedtime story, used to lull all the children. Even his great-grandmother had grown up with it.

Renesmee remembered that bedtime story too. In that one, a wolf and a princess had a special connection, similar to the one she and Jacob had. A smile formed on her face.

Jacob smiled back at her, glad that she seemed to be taking it easy, "Remember the last words the wolf told the princess?"

It took Renesmee some time to remember the exact words. All she remembered was that it was with some sort of magic. Imprinting, was it?

"I think they were," she hesitated before speaking, "I imprinted on you?"

The shapeshifter nodded. "Do you wanna know what the secret of this story is?"

The young girl nodded her head, her eyes full of joy and childish curiosity.

"The secret," he placed his palm on Renesmee's shoulder. He loved that they had almost the same temperature. He couldn't imagine if she had colder skin, like the vampires. "The secret is that I am the wolf from the story and you're the princess."

Renesmee's smile grew wider. Did that mean that she and Jacob would be together forever?

Poor child! She had no idea what was about to happen, did she?

Of course, she didn't. She wasn't God. Or auntie Alice.

That night, Jacob had given Renesmee the biggest hug he had ever given anyone, even Bella. And no one knew it would be the last.

As Renesmee was sleeping soundly, the adults had gathered downstairs. Edward had read Jacob's mind during the party and he believed it was important to share this with the rest of the family.

Bella jumped from the sofa with fury in her eyes the moment Jacob had told them that Renesmee now knew about the imprint, "How could you do such a thing?"

Even Edward's touch wasn't enough to soothe her. She angrily pushed him away. Apologies would come later. But none of them would be from Jacob Black.

Instead, the family believed it would be better if he left and never came back. Exposing the imprinting to Renesmee had been too much. While she wasn't an ordinary girl, that for sure didn't mean she didn't deserve to find love the real way.

"You need to leave!", exclaimed Rosalie. Defending her niece would come first, always.

Jacob wanted to scream and cry. They didn't understand, did they? All he wanted was for his imprint to know the truth. She was old enough and capable of understanding it. It wasn't like she was a small child, "B-but," he stuttered. He never did that. Fear had captivated his body at that moment.

"LEAVE!", Edward roared, unleashing his inner animal. No one had seen him like that in a long time, "And never come back!"

With that Jacob lowered his head and slowly walked out of the house he had once considered a second home, feeling completely defeated.