9

Renesmee tugs on her hair as she stares in shock at her letter. What has she written? If her teacher reads it, all of her secrets will come out and the Volturi will murder her! She cannot let any of that happen. It means putting her family in danger. The young girl's existence has already done enough.

She has no choice but to re-write the whole letter and hope for the best. She is not going to let her weaknesses be shown to the world. That is why they are called "weaknesses" - once someone has access to them, they can use them against anybody they want to. Renesmee does not want this for herself nor for anybody else.

She pushes herself to her limits as she slowly and neatly re-writes everything on a brand new sheet of paper, trying to impress her teacher and to show that she is stronger than she appears.

It seems like minutes when Renesmee is finally done with her assignment. Her hand aches and a strange bump seems to have formed on her wrist. Her grandpa will probably have to perform surgery on her. Unless her grandma rubs some soil from a grave on it.

"Phew!", she lets out a deep breath and wipes away some sweat that has formed on her forehead and is threatening to fall on her sheets. Not when she has just finished her homework!

Renesmee gently clears her throat and looks at the clock mounted on the wall, right above her desk, to see what it's almost six in the morning. She has pulled an all-nighter. What are her parents going to say?

After doing her morning routine, making sure to splash her face with cold water to wake herself up, she descends down the stairs to get breakfast. The smell of hot coffee enters her nostrils and turns the corner of her mouth to form a smile. The spark in her brown eyes is there again.

Her grandmother is fretting around in the kitchen, the radio playing some songs from the 70s that the hybrid girl doesn't recognize.

"Good morning, Renesmee! You look as fresh as a cucumber!", she exclaims before giving her granddaughter a kiss on the cheek to greet her and invites her to sit at the breakfast bar, where a cup of coffee and a plate of pains au chocolat is waiting for her.

Renesmee thanks her grandma and takes her seat. As she is ready to begin her breakfast and to refresh herself after a long night of homework, her phone makes a sound. Another message. From who else, but Wyatt.

Wyatt!

She has almost forgotten about him! She wonders if he has finished his assignment too. She can't wait to see him at school today. And the rest of her group of friends too. She hopes they've had a good time on her birthday the previous day.

"Good morning, Renesmee," her father greets and scoots on the barstool next to his daughter's. He pours himself some animal blood in a cup, which earns him an eyebrow raise from her. She is taken aback by his behaviour. Since when do vampires drink blood in cups? She has done it before, but she is a vampire-human hybrid.

"Can't I spend some quality time with my only child?", he replies, hoping his answer satisfies Renesmee, who simply chuckles:

"I see your point."

Edward takes another sip, "I'm driving you to school today."

That's very sweet, she thinks to herself, smiling. There's no need for words with her father. He is a mind-reader after all. A blessing and a curse for the family.

The drive to school reminds Renesmee of her innocent childhood. The conversation with her father makes her feel emotionally prepared for school. She can feel her vibrations going through the roof. That hasn't happened in years.

Unfortunately, something small can always destroy what seems to be a happy day.

Wyatt has gained confidence overnight - enough to ask out Renesmee. It's so obvious he does, the whole school can see it. And everyone thinks it's cute.

But what about Renesmee?

"I...," she stutters. What can she say? She has never been on a date before. She desires to have a relationship someday. But not today. She isn't ready yet. Her heart isn't healed yet. "I'm sorry, Wyatt. I can't."

And with that, she walks away from him, her head down in shame, leaving him stupefied.