10. The void

"Where are we going?! What's going on?!", Jamie frantically asked as Joyce pulled her by her arm out of the back door of the police station. As Jamie climbed in the back seat of Joyce's car, her eyes searched the back window for her dad through the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Jamie's eyes grew wide as she saw her mom's car parked crookedly outside the front of the station.

"That's my moms car! Is my mom here?!", Jamie said in a panicked voice that concerned Joyce.

As Joyce debated on responding and as the cloud of smoke grew thinner, Jamie saw her mom and dad arguing on the side of the building. Right before Hopper slammed Diane against the wall, Jamie turned around as Joyce called her name.

"Umm, Jamie. A little help here?", Joyce said as they sat at the red light.

"But my dad said-"

"Jamie, do you want your mom to see us?"

With a bit of concentration from Jamie, the light turned green. Joyce accelerated slowly as the other cars came to a screeching halt and then sped off. Jamie assisted with all upcoming lights, planning ahead this time, until they reached the road that would lead them to the cabin.

As the two got out of the car, Hopper pulled up and jumped out.

Jamie stopped in her tracks and watched as Joyce rushed over to her dad. Joyce's attention immediately went to the dried blood and scratches on Hopper's knuckles.

"I'm alright. Don't want to talk about it", Hopper said to Joyce as he discreetly nodded towards Jamie who started walking towards the cabin.

"Some shit is about to go down, and I don't want her to be in the middle or see any of it. She's staying here from now on. I have to go back to the trailer for a bit, make it look like I'm still there to not draw any attention over here."

Jamie barely heard her fathers muffled voice as she entered cabin. Jamie noticed a couple of bikes outside of the front door, but payed no attention.

Hopper stopped in front of Joyce and placed his hands on her waist.

"Jim?", Joyce questioned. The look on her face told him that she knew something was on his mind.

"Look, I want you to know that I will NEVER hurt you. I will never ever lay a finger on you, (in you, maybe, he thought). I love you too much to do that Joyce. But I fucking lost it back there. I just fucking lost it."

Hopper started pacing and grabbing at his hair and Joyce wasn't too sure if she wanted to know what went down after they pulled off. As she diverted his hands elsewhere, screams were heard coming from inside the cabin as El ran to the front porch.

"DAD!!!"

Hopper and Joyce ran to the cabin and in  the front door. A herd of kids stood in a circle around the kitchen while the lights flickered as Hopper pushed his way through to the middle while Joyce frantically tried to turn the tv down which was at a screeching volume.

Jamie sat crouched down on the floor with her eyes squeezed shut while covering her ears. Hopper looked at all of the pots and pans, broken dishes, and utensils that covered the floor surrounding Jamie.

"Jamie, what's wrong?!", Hopper frantically asked as he looked to El to see if she could explain, remembering her first tantrum that blew the windows out of the cabin.

El looked speechless as Hopper wiped the abnormal amount of blood falling from Jamie's nose.

"The void", El whispered. "It must've been her first time there", she thought to herself as she remembered waking up in the dark place before.