38. Uncle Owens

El woke up to the sound of a steadily beeping heart monitor. She opened her eyes to a dimly lit hospital room and found herself snuggled into someone. She looked up and saw Joyce who had her arm wrapped around her and Jamie who lay on the other side.

"Heyyy, sweetie", Joyce whispered as she looked down and noticed that El was awake.

El gasped and semi wrapped her arm around Joyce's mid section and squeezed.

"Are you okay? We were so scared", El said said as she looked down at Jamie who was sleeping on the other side of Joyce.

"Yes, I'm fine, baby. I'm so sorry for scaring you two. I'm just here because they want me to stay overnight to make sure everything's okay with the baby."

"It's okay", El whispered as she sat up on her elbow and looked at the door.

"Are you okay with being here?", Joyce asked.

"I wanna stay with you", El replied as she laid her head on Joyce's shoulder.

Joyce gave El a squeeze and pulled the blanket over her shoulder. El laid there looking at the tv with Joyce until she noticed that the beeping heart monitor sounded off sync. She sat up, looked across the room, and noticed someone else.

"Is that...?"

"Dad, and Will", Joyce interrupted and confirmed as she looked over at Hopper's bed at him and Will who slept on the side of him.

"Is he okay?", El said as she hurriedly got out of the bed causing Jamie to stir.

"El, sweetie, he's-"

"dead."

"No", Joyce said as she slowly moved from under Jamie, got out of the bed, and walked over to El. "He's in a coma", she said quietly.

"What's that?"

"It's a breathing tube", she responded as she grabbed a blanket and placed it over Will.

Joyce wrapped an arm around El's shoulder as she sniffled and wiped her eye.

"He can't breathe? Whats a coma?"

"Well, it's there to help him breathe and a coma is... well it's hard to explain, dear."

El frowned as she looked up with a tear in her eye. Joyce sighed and ran her fingers through Hopper's hair.

"It's like... he's in a deep sleep. And the breathing tube is here to help him breathe better, he got hit pretty bad", she said as she pointed towards the wounds on his bare chest.

Joyce and El stood there watching over Hopper and Will when they heard the creaking of the door. They both turned around to find Owens holding a tray of food.

"Hey, I heard the kids were awake so I brought them some food", he whispered as he set the tray down on the table.

"Just El", Joyce replied with a slight smile as she moved El's hair out of her face.

"You hungry, kiddo?", Owens asked as he gestured towards the tray.

El wrapped her arm around Joyce's arm and looked back at Hopper. She sighed as she rested her head against her arm.