28. Upside down

Jamie lay on the wet, hard ground as she held her forehead and sat up. She looked at the darkness that surrounded her and took a deep breath before standing. She slowly walked through the puddle of water before turning around as she heard a little girl's voice call a familiar name.

"Sissy", a small, blond haired girl called out softly.

Jamie squinted her eyes and immediately identified the blue hair ties that held the girls pig tails in place. Jamie felt her heart sank as tears flooded her eyes. As Jamie took two steps towards the little girl, she wiped her eyes on her arm, and saw that she was still standing before her.

"S-Sarah", Jamie whispered.

She walked over to her little sister and stopped a few feet before her before dropping to her knees. Afraid to touch her, Jamie anxiously ran her hands on her thighs and took in every detail about her sister.

"Sarah", Jamie repeated as her voice broke.

"I miss you, sissy", Sarah responded with a smile. "Happy Birthday!"

Jamie's nose was wet with tears as she sat there crying. She remembered the days where their father would wake Sarah a few minutes before midnight so that she could be the first one to tell her happy birthday. Jamie smiled from ear to ear as she blotted the inside of her eye with the sleeve of her shirt.

"I miss you so much", Jamie finally responded.

Sarah's smile dropped as she looked off into the distance behind Jamie with fear in her eyes. Jamie turned around and saw nothing but the darkness of the void.

"What's wrong?"

She reached out to touch Sarah, but Sarah pulled her shoulder back. Jamie looked up at her confusingly with tears still in her eye.

"They're coming", Sarah whispered.

"What?"

"Not safe", she replied with a pout.

Jamie quickly shook her head as she stared at the ground and then looked back at her sister.

"What are you talking about? Are you talking about mommy?"

Sarah slowly shook her head.

Jamie's mind quickly jumped back to the time where she visited the void with El as their father watched from the kitchen floor. Screams echoed in her mind as she mentally watched the demodog tear her to pieces.

"Where are they?", she asked as she reached and held her sister's tiny hands.

As soon as Jamie touched Sarah, she slowly dissipated into thin air.

"No, no! Sarah!", Jamie panicked as she grasped at the air in front of her.

She fell forward onto her hands and knees and squeezed her eyes shut as she slammed her fist on the cold, wet ground causing droplets of water to fly everywhere. Jamie took deep, heavy breaths as tears streamed down her face while every moment of Sarah's short lived life replayed in her mind.

"It's not real.... it's not real", she whispered to
remind herself that Sarah was long gone and it was just a figment of her imagination 

Jamie took a long, deep breath and concentrated on reality before opening her eyes and finding herself sitting on the ground in the woods. She looked around and sighed in relief once she saw that she was no longer in the void. An eerie feeling washed over her as she recognized the white particles that floated in the air as being the same as the ones from her dream a few nights ago.