23. Dreams vs. reality

*Jamie's dream is in italics*
————————

Joyce came home a few hours later that day. As she walked in the house, she saw Hopper on the couch and more than a few empty beer cans.

"Hey, where are they?", she asked as she went over and kissed him.

"Shhhthey'resleepingfinally", he said mumbling his words together as she sharply exhaled.

"Are you ... drunk?", she asked as she scrunched her nose when she smelled beer on his breath.

Hopper groaned as he rubbed his face in his hands. "Between El calling me every few minutes because her stomach hurts and Jamie throwing up all over herself I just needed a few drinks."

"Oh, you mean multitasking?", she  jokingly laughed which caused him to roll his eyes.

"Did her fever go down?", Joyce continued as she went to the kitchen to start cleaning.

"Yes, it was 100.2 last time I checked. Don't worry about lunch, though. I've already got that covered, and I did a bit of cleaning", he added with a burp.

Joyce giggled to herself as she opened the fridge and saw bologna sandwiches. She had to stop herself from laughing out loud at the thought of him needing a few drinks after making sandwiches, checking on the kids, and doing the dishes. She sat down on the couch as she rubbed her stomach and turned on the tv as she pulled out a new package of gum.

"New flavor?", Hopper asked as he looked at the black packaging.

"Yeah, blackberry", Joyce said after putting two sticks in her mouth. "You should try it."

Hopper laughed and shifted his focus to the t.v. The sound of a car engine outside caught both of their attention as Hopper went to the front door. He saw Steve get out with his bookbag and a bouquet of flowers.

"This. Motherf-"

"Remember what we talked about?", Joyce said nudging him in his back as she stood on the side of him. "Look, he brought flowers. Don't give him a hard time, Jim. Please", Joyce said disappearing behind the door.

Hopper stood at the front door with his hand on the door knob in an attempt to gain his composure. Steve made his way to the front door and stood in front of Hopper who stood there blocking it.

"Good afternoon, Hop", Steve said with an awkward smile.

"Why aren't you in school? It's noon", he replied folding his arms and speaking slowly to not slur his speech.

"Half day. I got Jamie's homework so she doesn't fall behind..."

"Oh, well that's unfor-", Hopper started to respond erratically until Joyce lightly kicked his foot and gave him a look.

Hopper turned his head to look at her and shook his head as he lightly scoffed. Steve looked confused and wondered what was going on, and also how long Hopper was going to have him standing out in the cold.

"That's.... wonderful. I'll take her homework", Hopper resumed as he continued to stand in the doorway.

"Um... I was wondering if I can come in and talk to her actually? I think she's mad at me about something. I've been texting her and she hasn't responded."

"Oh! Yeah, because she's grounded", Hopper threw in authoritatively. "She won't be seeing that phone nor having any compa-"

"Oh, for fucks sake!", Joyce mumbled to Hopper as she pulled the door open. "Come in, Sweetie. Let me go wake her up, she wasn't feeling well today", Joyce said pushing Hopper to the side and allowing Steve to come in.