21. Heart to heart

Hopper pulled up to the front of Hawkins High School at 7:55 A.M as Will hurried and rushed inside to make it to his first period class on time. Jamie sat in the passenger seat and looked at her schedule.

"History. Room 132", she said aloud.

"Do you have any classes with Steve?", Hopper asked as his arm rested out the window while a cigarette burned in between his fingers.

"I'm not sure", Jamie replied as she folded the paper into her pocket and opened the car door. "Is Joyce still mad at you?"

"Yup", he said with a huff. "Steve's dropping you off, right? Me and Joyce both will be working when you guys are out so either you can go with Will and his friends or you can come to the station."

"Yeah", Jamie said nodding her head and closing the car door while Hopper rolled down the window.

"Alright, I don't have any cash on me so here's my credit card. In case you decide school food is nasty and want food after", Hopper said as he leaned over and handed Jamie his card.

Jamie put it in her pocket as she looked towards the school as the bell ring.

"Alright, kid. Have a good day. I'll see you later", Hopper said as he slowly pulled off once Jamie started walking towards the building.

Jamie pulled out another piece of paper that was folded in the side pocket of her bookbag and walked slowly as she looked for her locker number. Jamie finally came across her locker which was located a few lockers down from the end of the hall. As Jamie fiddled with the combination lock, she heard a couple of voices coming from around the corner.

"So you lost the bet, bro! You owe me 50 bucks!", a young boy nearly shouted from a mix of excitement and disbelief.

"Look, Tommy, I don't even care about the bet anymore. I already told you", a familiar voice responded as they slammed their locker shut. "Things are different."

"Awww. Steve fell in love", a girl said mockingly as Steve scoffed.

"Screw you, Carol", Steve said rolling his eyes.

"Look. A bet's a bet. We had a deal. You were the one that said that you could sleep with her on the first night, not me. Now, I just want my money", Tommy replied grabbing his books and slamming his locker before wrapping his arm around Carol.

"Her dad will literally shoot me in the face without hesitation. Plus, like I just told you", Steve repeated annoyingly as he walked around the corner. "Jamie is different."

"So you mean to tell me you spent the whole weekend with this girl and didn't make a move? That doesn't sound like the King of Hawkins to me", Tommy teased.

Steve started to argue back before jumping as he looked up and locked eyes with the person standing before him.

"Its 8:06. That means you three are late", Mr. Mundy said with folded arms as he stood in front of the three teens.

"Sorry, sir. Going to class now", Tommy said as he pulled Carol and Steve past the man and sped to their first period class.

Jamie stood hidden in the doorway to the janitors closet as the three walked by without noticing her. Jamie wiped her eyes on her sleve and headed towards her first period class in the opposite direction once they were out of sight.

Jamie spent the rest of the day going through her classes as normal without seeing Steve. Once the bell rang at 3:00, she quickly bolted outside to the parking lot and looked for Steve's car. As other students began to crowd the front of the school, Jamie hid behind one of the bushes and waited for Steve to come out.