26. The set up

There was an hour left in Hopper's shift and it had been hours since he'd dropped Jamie and El at Joyce's house. He sat at his desk shooting paper balls into the nearby wastebasket before Flo paged his office phone.

"Yeah, Flo", he said as he shot another air ball.

"Diane's here to see you", Flo said with a monotone voice as she glared at the lady standing before her. "Are you still busy? I already told her th-"

"Tell him that I've-", Diane started to grow impatient and interrupted before Flo slammed her hand down on the desk.

"Ma'am! Like I said, you need to wa-"

"Five minutes, Flo. Send her back", Hopper huffed as he slammed his elbows down on the table and hung up the phone.

Not even a few seconds later, Diane barged in Hopper's office. Hopper furrowed his eyebrows in disgust as he saw Diane's sloppy appearance.

"What", Hopper said as he huffed and leaned back in his chair.

Diane stood there shaking with a coffee cup in her hand as if it was her 50th one. She slammed the cup down on his desk, causing a few droplets to spill out. Hopper looked at the cup, and then back at her.

"I had been waiting for...", Diane spoke with a shaken voice as she looked at her watch.

"So what?! I'm working. What do you want?"

Diane stood there and stared at him as her lips quivered in anger and frustration.

"I want my daugh-"

"Absolutely not."

"You listen to me!", Diane whispered as she got closer and pointed a finger in Hopper's face.

"I know what you did. What you tried— What you failed to do!"

Hopper tried to maintain his poker face, but deep down inside he started to worry.

"I know one thing", he immediately changed the subject. "You pull some more shit like that in front of Joyce and that'll be your ass", he huffed.

"You think you can scare me?!", she scoffed. "I know you, Jim. And this time, you've been caught", she said as she poked his chest with her finger.

"Yeah?", Hopper asked as he stared her in the eye. "And what exactly did I do?"

"Where's David?", she whispered as she got closer to him.

Hopper clenched his teeth and his fist as Diane was only a few inches away from his face. Hopper's breathing got heavier as Diane smiled once she saw that he was visibly upset.

"Why the hell would I know", he whispered back as Diane pulled her face away in anger. "You're not getting her ba-"

"You must've forgotten that you lost that custody battle a long time ago?"

"Do you think I give a fuck about some GOD DAMNED CUSTODY BATTLE!?", Hopper raised his voice as he sat up in his seat. "You're the reason my daughter can't function without having a fucking panic attack about everything!"

Diane scrunched her face and threw her arms outwards.

"She's better off with me, Jim!"

"Really?! She clearly ran away to me from you", Hopper laughed to himself as he vigorously squeezed his eyes with his thumb and middle finger.

"I want my daughter....Or else", she mouthed.

Hopper looked at Diane with a scrunched face and a confused look.