Chapter 18

Rebekah helps Rose upstairs – much to Klaus' evident annoyance – as he stays behind with Elijah and Kol.

His brothers were still trying to figure out how the fire had started and why they didn't smell the smoke until it was too late.

"Does it really matter why you lot couldn't smell the smoke at this point?" He questions them irritably as he goes to pour himself a drink.

He gulps it down in one go before before pouring himself another as he goes to stands by the window.

They could still see the rising smoke all the way from their house.

"Of course it matters Niklaus. We almost lost Rose tonight" Elijah replies. He knows that his brother is still hung up on his argument with Rose prior to the fire.

"Something about this fire was unnatural" Kol informs them.

He remembers what it looked like whenever he got too close to it when they had been searching for Rose.

It was almost as if the fire was fighting them personally.

"What are you thinking it might be Kol?"

"I don't know as yet but I'll figure it out" Kol says, "until then I need to go shower, I smell disgusting" he adds before flashing upstairs, leaving his brothers behind alone.

Nik was looking out the window, obviously deep in thought.

Elijah knows better than to stir him from his thoughts because his brother may become volatile so he focuses on trying to recall whether he had seen anyone acting suspiciously tonight.

"Well you'll be glad to know that she's coming around" Rebekah comments as she speeds into the room, "she inhaled a little smoke but that's nothing Rose can't handle" she says as she eyes the two of them. "What's crawled up your arses?" She asks crudely when she finds them in their own worlds.

"I'm just trying to figure out why we couldn't smell the smoke until it was too late" Elijah replies, "Kol suspects foul play" he adds.

"Of course it was foul play" Rebekah replies dryly as she goes to pour herself a glass of bourbon, "when have you lot ever known anything in our lives to play out normally" she retorts as she pours a full glass for herself.

"Be that as it may, it is a little suspicious that in a room full of supernaturals none of them were able to smell the smoke, especially considering that Miss Gilbert got attacked during this whole debacle" he adds in thought

"Enough" Rebekah groans in annoyance, "with the doppelbitch" she adds as she sits across from him, "the way I see it she got exactly what she deserved" she adds as Elijah frowns at his sister's words.

He knows that Rebekah is no fan of Elena so her words shouldn't come as a shock to him.

"Trust Rose to be the one to help her" she sighs in annoyance as she takes a sip of her drink.

She's clearly going to have to talk to Rose about being her nice with the annoying Scooby Gang.

"Rebekah..."

"Oh shove a sock in it Elijah. I hate the bitch and I always will" she tells him straightforwardly as if he'd be wasting his time if he tried to change that anytime soon. "I have to go and shower" she says as she finishes off her drink, "I stink of smoke and that's not an attractive smell. I need to go and check up on Matt anyways" she adds before flashing upstairs to go and shower quickly before going to check up on Matt.

She hadn't gotten the chance to, following Elena getting daggered and Rose going missing.

"You're awfully quiet tonight" Elijah comments as he eyes his brother standing by the window. The bourbon in his hands was untouched.