Chapter 28 - Fast

Catherine Ashton

I looked outside the window as I crossed my arms in front of my chest. It's been a long day after a long list of meetings. I let out a deep sigh as I looked down to the busy streets of Los Angeles.

I turned my body around and sat down on my chair looking at the article in front of me. It was about Jacob who successfully open up his wings in the oil industry. I leaned back to my seat and I can't help but feeling a little sad again.

It's been 2 years.

After I got back from Texas, I found out that he left. He left me with a news that he cancelled the wedding. I didn't know how to react at that time hearing about the news from my grandfather. I felt like the world around me shattered right in front of my eyes, I was disappointed, I was so mad but I can't do anything.

We weren't a match in the first place even though I'm a little bit attach to him already.

I like him, there's no denying it but somehow we kept having a situation where we have to go back and forth with the wedding. So.. I decided to just let it go without asking any explanation from him.

I went on with my life even though a small part of me wanting to see him everysecond. I've always think of him everyday everynight and there's no denying that I miss him.

Running away to Texas was one of the biggest mistakes that I've ever make in my life. I shouldn't have left. But.. even though I'm regreting it now.. there's no turning back.

"Ms. Ashton, you have to catch a flight to New York." I looked up to see my secretary smiling at me gesturing me to drag my ass to the airport. I nodded and I got up from my seat.

I walked out from my office with my bag and went downstairs getting into my car and left to the airport. I looked blankly outside and let out a sigh.

Everytime I go to New York for work, I always make time to go to Valentino restaurant. Why? Because that restaurant is facing the Denver office. Not only that.. they have a rooftop and from that rooftop, I can see his office clearly.

I miss him but I don't have the courage to see him.

My phone rang and I looked at the caller ID. It's Eden and I pressed the green button.

"Hello." I answered.

"Hey.. where are you? I was hoping to go grab dinner togeher."

"I'm going to New York, I have an early meeting in the morning tomorrow." I said with no energy.

"Are you going to see him?"

"No.. I'm not." I sighed.

"It's been 2 years, Catherine." He said completely concerned.

"I'm not in a mood to talk, I'm tired." I said and ended the call. I closed my eyes and decided to rest for awhile. My secretary woke me up when we arrived at the airport. I got out and the airport staff greeted me right away. They helped me bring my stuff and walked me inside to check in.

I checked in and walked towards the lounge because I still have time before the boarding time. I sat right beside the window and looked at the airplanes lining up blankly.

"Long time no see." I turned to see Brad a.k.a Jacob's bestfriend.

"Hi.. long time no see." I said and he sat on the chair beside me facing the window too.

"How are you?" He asked and I turned to him briefly.

"I'm good, how about you?"

"Well.. I'm good, just been busy." He answered and there's a silence after that.

"How is he?" I asked as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"Why don't you ask him yourself? It's just one call away." He said and I turned to him shaking my head.

"Forget it." I said in a cold tone.

"Will you come to the charity event tomorrow?" He asked and I sighed.

"No."

"You should check Jacob's girl." I bit my lips after hearing it completely pissed with Brad's statement.

"When will you get married?" Brad asked and I turned to him raising my eyebrows.

"What?"

"With Eden." He said and my hands turned into fist.

"Did Jacob tell you that?"

"Nope.. I saw you in France 2 months ago so I'm just assuming."

"I'm not dating him or marrying him." I hissed.

"Why did you leave him?" Brad asked and I turned to him.

"He lied to me about the marriage arrangement and he even asked me things that.. he's crazy." I said as I turned back to see the airplanes.

"He did that because he wanted to tie you down. He likes you."

"He doesn't like me.. he only wanted a heir to continue his company."

"You know that's not true." He's right.

"Do you miss him?" Brad asked and I found my head nodding.

"It's weird if I say I don't.." I said as I got up from my seat planning to move to another place. I turned my body and I froze to see Jacob standing there looking at me with unreadable expression.

"Brad.. let's go." He said and Brad stood up. My lips were frozen and words were stuck on my lips.

"Let's go." Jacob walked away first and Brad followed him. Brad looked at me apologizing with his eyes and I closed my eyes before I found myself sitting down on again.

I got up and quickly walked towards Jacob preventing him to go into the plane by holding on to his suit. He turned to me and raised his eyebrows.

"I.. I'll see you in New York." That's the only words that came out from my mouth. I let him go and he walked into the airplane without saying anything.

I stood there completely.. confuse and.. it felt like a dream because everything happened so fast.