What Could Go Wrong?

Something was off.

The sun was shining through his window, it was a beautiful day, all his friends came to the tower for breakfast. It was a great morning.

But something was off.

As they started to plot the next avengers mission, Tony felt undeniable dread filling him, like something was going to go horribly wrong.

This time they were putting a few hissing cockroaches inside of a guy named Zemo's locker. Natasha was the only one brave enough to have them near her, the other 12 of them crowded on the opposite side of the table, while Clint was sitting up in the rafters ever since Natasha threatened to throw one at him.

Overall it was a great start to the day.

What could go wrong?

As they got to school, the tightly knit group was circling Natasha so you couldn't see the container she was holding. They made their way inside, and Tony left his spot next to Stephen to go up to the front where Steve was.

For some reason they insisted that Tony should stay as leader, even though he thought Steve was and would always be a better man for the job. He walked next to the super soldier, who hadn't spoke to him since the whole thing at lunch yesterday. He sighed, veering off in the direction of his locker. He grabbed a pen and a few sticky notes, writing out. 'Hey buddy, I suggest next time you tell a kid to kill himself, consider what the bugs think.' Underneath he wrote, in perfect cursive, 'Sincerely, The Avengers'

He made his way to the locker, which already had the bugs inside of it if the plan was going right. He stuck the note on with a piece of tape to secure it, and turned around to see-

Shit.

Zemo.

"What are you doing?" The boy asked, he had a thick accent and these judgmental eyes that bore into Tony's mind.

"Just needed to write something down real quick, used the closest locker to lean against." He knew Zemo couldn't see what he wrote, and he was thankful he brought a pen along. Although it didn't seem that Zemo bought it.

"Isn't your locker over there?" He pointed near where his locker was, now Tony was screwed.

"Yes, but me and my friends were meeting nearby." He lied right out of his ass.

"Friends?" The boy raised a eyebrow.

"Yeah. Probably have more than you" oops- he's trying to get away not start a fight.

"Watch your mouth Stark." His voice dropped into a dangerous Russian accent. He tried to look for a way out, grabbing his sticky note.

"I'll be on my way then." As he walked off, he felt eyes boring into his soul. He made his way around the corner and to class, sitting down. "He caught me."

"Crap!" Natasha grumbled. "We couldn't get into his locker anyways." She looked down. Tony followed her gaze and saw that the container was empty. 'If they couldn't get in-'

A shrill scream of some girl in the room confirmed his suspicions. They escaped. The group jumped up as one came flying over to the table, the room filled with cursing and screams as the kids ran out. Natasha was on the floor laughing, no one else in the group found it funny.

They decided to go home. Too much of risk being blamed or caught if they stayed.

On the way home, Clint found a cockroach in his shirt- there was a lot of screaming and a few odd demands to 'take your shirt off!' But they got that sorted.

Once they got home, Tony passed out snacks to everyone and they silently sat around for a bit, before Thor spoke up.

"You should all try and lift the hammer." He nodded to where it was sitting on the coffee table.

"Bet." Clint got up, walking over to it and tugging. It didn't come up. The kids cycled through, none of them could lift the hammer.

"Weird." Tony commented. The team shrugged it off and relaxed.

Slowly they started to leave, Natasha stayed behind since she didn't have anywhere to be.

"So, hows you and Carol going?" Tony asked, drinking coffee.

"We're uh, we're doing good, I really like her." She replied, her legs up on the table.

"That's good."

"What happened with you and Stephen?"

"We're uh, not technically dating, but still like-"

"Unofficial?" Tony nodded silently. The two relaxed, watching tv and just sitting as friends until the break in alarm went off. "What is that?"

"It warns is that someone broke in!" Tony jumped up. He put his suit on and him and Nat sprinted down to the weapons room. Two guys were in there, digging through the cases of weapons. Tony fires at one of them, who ducked and it hit a window, making it shatter. The two fought the bad guys, who had some sort of strange alien tech. "It would really be helpful if we had cap or Stephen!" Tony grunted as a beam of purple energy hit his armor.

It was going fine until there was a loud shout from Natasha, and Tony could see her gripping the windowsill. He fought past the two guys, knocking both of them out. He sprinted over to Natasha, but got there a moment too late.

It took him a moment to realize she was falling, and then he jumped out the window after her. He barely caught her and shot back up to the tower with Natasha draped in his arms. He landed, setting her down as his armor disappeared. "Are you ok?" He glanced over her quickly.

"Fine- just a little shaken. Remind me never to borrow your suit." She joked lightly. Tony sighed with relief, going back down to the room to check the damage. The guys were gone, but nothing seemed to be taken.

"Strange." He commented.

He walked Natasha home, making sure she was ok before retreating to his room and laying down. He watched the lights in the city, the cars drive by, just sitting there and thinking.

Something shifted in his room, but he ignored it, just his imagination.

He swore he heard footsteps, so he turned to check. Two shadows, two big men walking over to him. He reached for his arc reactor, but the bat had already hit his head.

The last thing he felt was pure terror as the men picked him up and started to tie his hands.