Chapter 1

CASSANDRA

*Five months later*

I looked down at my now six months pregnant belly, stroking it gently with my hands.

After Xavier kicked me out, I moved in with my sister Lynne. The last living relative I have and the only person who was willing to listen to my side of the story.

Her husband kicked her out too after they found out they couldn't have children. Turns out he was the one at fault.

I never got a chance to tell Xavier I was pregnant. I found out a month later. I tried calling him and his office but he never answered. He must have changed his number. Even when I called his mother, she hung up the moment she heard my voice.

I got tired of begging and pleading. I finally decided it was time for me to move on with my life and pick up the little pieces he left me in.

I've been working as a cashier in a jewellery store. It's the only place I could find employment. As it turns out, no one wants to hire a pregnant woman, especially one without much work experience. Xavier never allowed me to work throughout our marriage and I got married pretty young too. Now I'm pregnant and useless.

It's starting to be difficult for me to do certain things on my own but most things I can manage.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay at home today?" Lynne questioned. Already dressed in her usual work attire, a black pencil skirt and a white long-sleeve shirt.

I sighed audibly. "I have to go. Besides, we need the money and I'm still perfectly capable." I answered dragging my feet to the bathroom.

"It's okay Cassie, you don't have to overwork yourself. I got this." She tried to assure me.

"You are already paying most of the bills plus we are behind on a month's rent," I pointed out.

She gave me a small smile and a pat on the shoulder before rushing out to work.

*****

"Have a good day ma'am," I said waving goodbye to a customer who had just purchased a necklace.

She smiled at me as she walked out.

"Mark is asking you to go to his office," Melissa said tapping me on the shoulder.

She was one of the floor workers, helping customers with whatever information they required when purchasing an item.

I walked to Mark's office. He was the manager around here.

I wonder what the problem was that he had to call me out separately.

I knocked on his door which had been left wide open. He had been busy on his computer as he frantically typed away his fingers.

He gestured for me to enter his office, doing his best to master the biggest smile possible.

"Please take a seat," he offered, gesturing at the two chairs in front of his desk.

"I'm alright," I answered.

Mark sighed. I could tell by his expression that whatever news he had to give me was not going to be pleasant.

"I'm really sorry Cassie," he began. He let out yet again another sigh. "But we are going to have to let you go."

My heart sank at his words. He was firing me? I couldn't afford to lose this job. I was having a baby soon; I had a lot riding on this.

"The business has been struggling for a while and we can't afford to pay as many people. It was a tough call," he explained.

"But you hired Melissa last week," I tried to reason.

There had to be a way I could save my job.

"Yes, we are letting her go too." He said, scratching the back of his head. He reached his hand out for an envelope on his desk. "This is what we could do for you. It's three months' pay, you don't have to continue working until the end of the month." He said handing me an envelope. His voice held a sense of finality. He had already made his decision.

I sighed, stretching out my hand to take the envelope.

Sure, this pay would help me out for a while but it was never going to be enough to cover all the costs of a baby. In my state, where was I going to get another job now?

"Best of luck with your baby," he said.

Without making a scene, I turned around and made my way out of his office.

Everything has been going terribly for me. I don't know what I would do if this continued to happen.

A sudden rush of nausea washed over me. I got a huge headache too.

For a moment it was as if I could no longer see where I was walking.

I stepped out of the jewellery store after saying goodbye to some of the staff. They had been incredibly kind to me throughout the months that I had worked there.

What was I going to do? We were barely managing as it was. I couldn't put any more burdens on my sister.

Engrossed in my thoughts, I heard a sudden 'beep' snapping me back to reality. I barely had time to react, I noticed a motorbike driving toward me at full speed. My body fell into paralysis, indecisive of my next move. Today was going to be the day that I died.

But I didn't.

Instead, I felt a hand on my waist, grabbing me onto the pavement. The motorbike continued to speed in front of me where I had been standing a few moments ago.

My breathing was unsteady as I tried to make sense of everything that had just happened.

I could have died.

"You need to be careful," a man spoke. He helped me balance my feet on the ground.

I was in shock.

"Thank you," I answered. I was hyperventilating. I had barely taken the time to look at the man who had just saved my life.

I slowly adjusted my breathing, taking the time to look my hero in the eye.

My eyes widened at the sight of cold grey eyes that stared back at me.

After five months, two days and six hours, he was here. Xavier was standing right in front of me and he was real this time.

His expression matched mine as he stared at me in utter disbelief.

He tore his eyes away from me, taking the time to notice my fully growing belly.

As I stared at him, I felt my body shake. This couldn't be happening. After all this time I was seeing him again.

Everything slowly started becoming pitch-black as my body slowly weakened from the shock. Tears whelmed in my eyes as everything rehashed itself.

Before my lips could form a word, I fainted.