Chapter 18

Xavier's POV

Yesterday when I picked Cassie up from the restaurant she looked very distant. She has hardly spoke ever since, she just gives me one word answers.
I can tell something is on her mind.

I was sitting at the dinner table having my morning coffee with a newspaper in my hand.

Cassie walked into the room, already dressed for her antenatal classes.

She sat on the far end of the table as Paula served her breakfast.

"Morning," I said looking up from the newspaper.

"Morning," she replied then looked down at her plate.

She exhaled deeply then looked at me undecided, as if she had something on her mind.
She stood up from her chair then took her plate to sit closer to me.

"Xavier, there is something I need to tell you." She said, her arms folded. I could hear the seriousness in her tone.

"Okay," I said.

I folded the newspaper putting it on the table along with my cup. I turned my attention onto her.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Yesterday when I went to the restaurant." She paused. "Someone tried to poison me. But someone else warmed me in time." She said quickly.

My jaw clenched, placing my hands in fists trying to calm myself down.

She continued explaining everything that happened, each word taking me by surprise.

"Are you saying my mother paid someone to poison you?" I asked.

"I don't know Xavier, maybe. It was her I saw handing that guy money." She said.

"Maybe it was someone else you saw and not her." I defended.

"Maybe," she answered shrugging her shoulder.

I didn't know what to believe anymore. I knew my mother would never do such a thing. Could what Antonio said possibly be true, despite the fact that he's a liar.

Before I could say another word, my phone rang.

It was a call from Daniel, I knew whatever he was going to say wasn't a conversation I wanted Cassie to hear.

"Please excuse me," I said going to my study.

I closed the door to my study.

"What?" I answered the phone.

"Morning," he said sarcastically.

"Daniel, I'm busy. Get to the point." I said.

"I have bad news," he said.

"What is it," I said. I let out a deep breath embracing myself.

"You remember, we tied up that asshole then left and called the police." He began.

"What happened?" I asked.

"He escaped, he never made it into police custody." He said.

I face palmed myself, "I should have handed him in myself," I said.

He sighed, something he did often did when he was hiding something, to think he should be a better liar.

"What's the other news?" I asked.

"Well, you remember what Antonio said about your mother," he paused.

"You don't expect me to believe him do you?" I interrupted him.