Chapter 35

******

I practically slam the door on my so called mother's face, I can't believe she thinks it's okay to show up after eighteen years like it's nothing. I never in my life thought I'd see her again and I was okay with that. I never knew I felt so much hate towards her until I saw her face. I never told my father because he'd be furious. I wouldn't blame him because I am too.

It's now Monday which means school and I'm dreading to see Hunter's face. I debated staying off another week but my father didn't like the idea and I didn't like the idea of falling behind. Everything with my mother's random appearance and everything with Hunter I feel as though my life is truly falling apart and I can't do a thing to stop it. I pull my hair up into a messy bun and wear minimum makeup so I don't look like shit, I feel like I need it now. I throw on some black leggings and a black Nike cropped jumper with some plain black huaraches. I text Andie telling her I'm coming to school and she texted back ecstatic saying she'll be on her way.

"Hey!", she beams.

"Hi", I force out a chuckle.

"We're picking up Wyatt today"

"Okay", I reply.

"Where have you been? I've been worried", she pouts.

"At home, I've been... ill", I lie. I can tell by her facial expression that she doesn't believe me but she lets it go, thankfully.

When I arrive at school with Andie and Wyatt we make our way to the front entrance, it feels as though I haven't been here in years and at the corner of my eye I spot Hunter leaning up against the brick wall smoking a cigarette and staring at the ground.

It feels like my heart has stopped beating. When did he start smoking again? When we were together he stopped, it's like it wasn't a second thought. He hasn't noticed me and I'm glad. I walk past Sofia in the hall, she's got a tiny bump and she rubs it as she leans against her counter. She doesn't give me one look just continues to talk to her obnoxious friends and rub her belly.

When I reach my first class I remember Hunter's in the same one, I take a deep breath and prepare myself for the worst. I sit in my usual seat and hope he doesn't sit beside me. There is plenty of other empty seats in class for him to sit on. When he strides in, my eyes are met with his and we stare at each other for a moment before he takes the seat beside me. I gulp looking forward in front of class. I can't bare to look at him, I can feel my stomach churn.

"You're back?", he whispers.

"Mmhm", I nod not looking his way.

"When did you get back?", he asks looking at me intently, I give him a quick glance before looking at my hands on the desk.

"Um...I didn't actually leave", I fiddle with my fingers. It's so awkward that I could cry.

"Oh", he replies. I try not to seem so nervous but I bet he can tell. He's probably laughing at me mentally.

"I tried calling", he softly speaks, I can feel his eyes on me. My eyes meet his once again and I study his face, every feature of it. He doesn't look like himself at all, he looks thinner and he has dark circles under his eyes. His eyes are bloodshot red and glossy, pupils dilated and his hair is messier than usual. He doesn't look good at all. What has he done? I told him to look after himself and it doesn't look like he did.