Ch.3 Girlfriend

Pooja's P.O.V

"Why? Aren't you serious?"

I can see his body going rigid and him clenching  and unclenching his hand at his side's. I stare at him waiting for him to speak. After two or three minutes he turns his face to look at me and decides to speak.

"I know, Megha would have already told you how they had been searching for a girl for me to marry. Why do you think all the girls they found rejected me?", I shrug and he continues, "Well, I told them to. And Pooja please understand I have been meaning to tell you this all before the marriage but somehow my parents caught up and they were hell bent on getting me married to you this time. My father even threatened to disown me."

Suddenly I feel as if my intestines were twisting painfully and someone had kept a heavy rock on my chest. God, I wish nothing is going to be bad.

"Pooja, I'm in love with someone else.", I open and close my mouth but no sound comes and I feel like my throat was burning. Shit has to always happen in my life. "I already did tell my parents about my affair three years back and they didn't agree. Whenever I asked them why they would always tell me I wouldn't understand. For three years I had been working hard for their approval but all they did was force me into another marriage."

I bite my lips hard as my eyes starts filling up. He didn't dare look at me spoke and I was thankful for that. I slowly take a deep breathe to calm my nerves before forcing myself to speak.

"So where does this put me? I understand that I'm supposed to be your wife only when we have family around but other than that what am I to you?"

"Pooja I'm really sorry. But please understand my situation. I know you would like to call me names, beat me up or whatever but please.............", he kept on rambling with his pleas and sorries, but my ears had already turned deaf.

Why does life has to play all it's games on me? I was so happy. So happy that at least I would have a family that would love me. Indeed I have my brother and sister but have a life of their own.

"Where does this put me, Arjun?", my voice harder than I intended to be.

He shuts his mouth and silently think about my question. I watch his face which clearly express all his emotions, from pain to anger to guilt to worry. He then looks up at me. I try hard not to laugh in this situation but his expression just lets a small smile to slip on to my face. For a 27 year old guy he looked like he was about to cry.

But seeing my smile boosts his confidence and with a small hint of hope he stretches his hand towards me for a handshake and asks,

"Can we be friends?"

Out of every ending I didn't expect my first night to end like this.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I open my eyes and stare at the ceiling. It was still dark except for the glow of the rising sun through the curtains. Last night after agreeing to be friends Arjun had got an extra pillow and kept it in middle of the bed saying he wanted me to be comfortable. I really did appreciate it since I had no idea where I was supposed to sleep if we were friends and I can't sleep in another room because whole of his family, from his grandmother to parents, uncles and their wives and kids, were all staying in the same house. No not a house it was a freaking mansion with two 4BHK guesthouses  a few meters away. Megha did tell me what to expect but all my expectations were thrown into air.

I pick up my phone, from the small table which was near the head of the bed, to see that it was only 5:00. I get up and walk to the closet to check for a pair of workout clothes and there three and also surprisingly a pale blue colour yoga mat. Megha did know what all to buy for me. Then I head to the bathroom to freshen up and change my clothes. Megha did tell me about all bedrooms in the mansion having a balcony. I look around the room and see one side of the room was completely covered in curtains.