Ch.7 Mission Accomplished

Pooja's P.O.V

It was late in the afternoon when the jet landed, God knows where we were. An elderly man, probably in early sixties dressed in black slacks and white shirt, came to us and took our luggages and informed Arjun about some boat being ready. Not understanding a thing I look at Arjun for some kind of explanation but he walked past me, following the man as if I am invisible.

I catch up with them and we enter a car waiting there. There's already a driver and the man gets into the passenger seat while me and Arjun get in the back. I wait for a few minutes before asking the man, "Excuse me. Can I ask what boat were you talking about?"

He turns to look at me and smiles, his eyes shining, "You must be Mam's daughter-in-law. I'm Mr.Murthy. Anything you'll be wanting while you stay at the island please inform me. I'll be very happy to help."

"Thank you! And please call me Pooja. So about this boat?"

"Ah! The Islands is a bit isolated. It is basically a cluster of small pieces of land spread throughout the West side of this city. Most of them are privately owned one's, just like how Mrs.Kashyap owns one. And the only way there is through a boat ride for about just more than half an hour. It varies from one to another......", he went on with his monologue about the life of people residing in the islands, the climate there and so on. 

It was close to evening when we were approaching somewhere what seemed like to be a dock, littered with small ferries as well as luxury tourist boats and a couple of houseboat. All the while when Murthy uncle explained like a tourist guide or rather a Highschool geography teacher, he somehow did remind me of her, Arjun was either glaring at his foot or looking out of the window. We took a boat which could accommodate about a dozen people.

The Islands were beautiful. The view from far, like where you could see tiny dots scattered across the water, with an orange sun setting behind and sky littered in red, orange, yellow and blue, it was mesmerising. Like it had come out of a painting. As we neared the island where Ma had planned for us to stay, I could see an elderly woman, maybe in her late fifties, standing near to the shore as if waiting for us.

Murthy uncle introduces her as his wife, Nisha. They were the ones taking care of this small island which was about twenty nine acres of land. Both happily retired. We walk towards what looks like a cottage. There is huge garden with picnic tables and chairs similar to what we had back home, in front of the cottage. There was also another similar cottage, but looked small, about fifty or so meters away to the right. Murthy uncle carries our luggage inside followed by Arjun while his wife shows me around.

A hall, dining room, kitchen with a small store room to the side, four bedrooms with attached bathrooms and a huge green house that covered most of the backyard, which was twice the size of the front garden. Most of the vegetables that were needed for daily use were grown on each island also other essentials stored in bulk, since grocery shopping wasn't that much of a fun when you have to travel an hour or so to the city, through water.

So after a round through the greenhouse I go back to the cottage while Nisha aunty goes back to hers. Entering through the back door to the kitchen I walk to the dining hall to see Arjun pulling my luggage from one bedroom to another room one of the bedrooms, that was farthest from the first. He leaves it at the door and turns to look at me with a blank expression. Walking back to the first bedroom he shuts the door to my face.

God! Help me survive.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

After dinner at the Murthy's I decided to sleep, leaving Arjun to do whatever he wanted. No longer than half an hour I wake up to sounds of explosions, gunshots and screams. WHAT THE F*? Am I not supposed to even get my beauty sleep? I pull myself off the bed and walk to the source of disturbance only to see Arjun leisurely sitting on the sofa opposite the tv in the hall with the remote control in his hands. I hide out of his sight just in time to see him peeping towards my room and then again increasing the volume.