Lesson One

That afternoon after the final bell...

"Y/N! Wait up!"

I turned to see where the voice was coming from. Jimin was jogging over to me.

"First lesson starts now," he said. I raised my eyebrows.

"Right now?"

"Lesson One: Presentation."

I didn't understand. "Presentation?"

"Yeah, this includes clothing, and how you carry yourself," he explained.

"Clothing... carry myself?"

"Yes, why can you only repeat me? That's going to be lesson two. After this we'll work on your conversation skills," he said. "You don't have anything right now do you?"

I shook my head.

"Ok. Well we're going on a shopping trip." He then grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the mall, thank goodness it wasn't too far.

"What've you got on you?" He asked me.

"Like money?" I looked in my backpack. "Uh... like 10000 won..."

He smiled, and said "It's ok, don't worry about it. I can cover you for now."

The first store was one I'd never stepped foot in and for good reason. Checking the price tag on one of the T-shirt I gasped. Nervously tapping Jimin on the shoulder I pointed at the tag. "I c-can't af-fford this..."

"It's good. Like I said, I'll cover it," he replied. I gaped at him. Laughing, he said, "My allowance is... well it's a lot."

Enough to buy this stuff?

Piling a stack of clothing in my arms Jimin directed me to the dressing room. I protested but I just talked over me saying, "nope no arguing, you promised, this is graded, this is an order from your teacher ok?"

In the dressing room I sorted through the stack. Ignoring the price tags, I pulled out a pair of jeans and a plain blue T-shirt. I poked my head out of the room. Jimin was waiting on a bench outside.

"Let me see," he said. I cracked the door open more. "That's it? What about the accessories and one of the cardigans? Put this cardigan on, this necklace... and curl your hair. Perfect."

I felt completely different in my cool kid clothes.

"Wow, this looks great. Try this skirt on with this... oh and this. Here, this shirt can also go with these."

As I tried on the infinite combinations of clothing, Jimin was sorting through the jewelry section. He came back with a silver necklace. A small star charm was all it was really, but its simplicity drew me in. It was the first thing I had seen the whole shopping trip I actually wanted. Not that the clothes were ugly, but I knew I loved the necklace the moment I saw it.

"Here, try this on with that," Jimin said. Then unclasping the necklace he put it around my neck. His face was so close I could see every eyelash in detail, and when his hand brushed my neck it sent goosebumps up and down my arms.

"Perfect," he declared, standing back to admire the whole ensemble. He turned me towards a mirror.

"Perfect..." I whispered to the reflection, but it wasn't me who I was referring to.

———————————————————————————

The rest of my evening was filled with trying on clothes and getting told to stand up straighter, oh you need eye contact! And such. This would be much harder than I had anticipated.