Sides

Jimin passed my locker with Taehyung, one of his friends. I liked Taehyung, he was friendly and outgoing, kind of like Jimin.

I hesitated before running up behind them and tapping Jimin on the shoulder. He turned, a look of surprise on his face.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah, um, I just wanted to say that I, uh, I'm sorry for ignoring you. I've just been feeling confused lately about some stuff..."

Jimin turned to Taehyung. "Can you give us a minute?"

Taehyung slapped Jimin on the shoulder. "Of course."

When he didn't leave Jimin added, "Alone, Taehyung."

"Oooooh, right," he replied, then he embarrassedly walked away. Jimin returned his attention to me.

"I'm not mad, I know that I was a little rude back then. I didn't know you were taking this teacher stuff so seriously..."

I reddened. Ah yes you idiot. Only you would take this seriously.

"Not that it's wrong! What I'm trying to say is..." Jimin struggled to find words.

"It's ok. It's my fault anyway," I whispered. "I've realized that I'm a baby, and I'm ready to grow up. So you don't need me to be your charity case-"

"You're not a baby, and I don't think you're a charity case," Jimin interjected.

"Yes I am, that's why you decided to 'teach' me right?"

He looked confused, even a little hurt. "What do you mean? Who told you I thought you were a charity case?"

My ears burned. Had I offended him? "Hyun Gi said that I was-"

"Hyun Gi! Bull-!" Jimin realized he was yelling, and lowered his voice. "That's not true. You seemed sincere about wanting to be noticed. So I wanted to be your friend. I don't know why he would tell you that but Hyung Gi was lying."

Before I could reply I heard a familiar voice say, "I was what now?"

I spun around to see a very unhappy Hyun Gi. Jimin scowled.

"You told her I thought she was a baby and a charity case?" he snarled. I was taken aback. I'd never seen Jimin this riled up. Hyun Gi rolled his eyes.

"Oh please, we all knew it. Quit trying to deny it," he shot back. The two boys now stood almost toe to toe, Hyun Gi towering over Jimin.

"I'm telling the truth. I wouldn't never use her like that," Jimin defended himself. "You on the other hand have always been a bit suspicious. You took interest in her awfully quick now didn't you?"

Hyun Gi scoffed. "Like I was any different from your 'Good Samaritan' act!"

I tried to interrupt by saying, "Guys, let's not fight. It's lunch time..." They just continued staring each other down.

"Who are you going to believe?" Hyun Gi demanded of me. "Your boyfriend, or Mr. Popular over here?"

I panicked. Not ready for confrontation, I took off. Running like a coward. I didn't stop until I was outside. Cutting school. Smart move, my inner voice mocked. My mom would kill me, but I continued out past the gates and towards my house.