Chapter One

Trigger Warning: Mentions of Rape

Logan proudly stepped in through the back door of his work building. The door creaked upon his arrival but he managed to shut the door without a sound. The back door lead into the break room. There wasn't anyone in there, which made sense to Logan. Why would anyone have a break at 8:00 am? His right arm was filled with flooding folders, full to the brim of documents on all of his assignments. His left arm however, was reaching for his designated coffee mug.

He set his mug down next to the steaming coffee pot. He let go of his mug's handle and reached for the coffee pot. He poured his coffee, half full as he saw it. He put the coffee pot back in its place and reached for the sugar cubes. He plopped two in his coffee and took the mug by the handle once again.

He ventured out of the break room and wandered purposefully into the main hall. In the main hall stood the front doors to the police station, stairs up to the second floor and the second floors' balcony looming over the first floor. In the middle of the floor housed the receptionist's desk. It was a rounded desk that had the police station's logo in the back. Gainesville Police Department it said in bold letters

While Logan did work at a police station, he was no officer. In fact, he was a detective. One of the chief detectives too. He was the highest in his rank and won many awards for solving his record of 6 cases in one week. Not many people payed any attention to him at the station, but he loved his job nonetheless.

Logan looked at the receptionist's desk once again. The receptionist hadn't arrived yet. How odd. Usually he's always here before Logan was. Logan took a drawn out sip of his coffee and proceed to the stairs. He climbed them one by one, being careful to not lose any of his papers or his coffee.

He stumbled on the last step but caught himself. He looked around, a little anxious, wondering if anyone saw his clumsiness. As usual, no one was paying attention to him. Logan didn't know why he was always given the cold shoulder by his fellow employees. His boss said he just intimidated everyone. But if that were the case, why did the actual officers snub him too?

Logan shrugged off his thoughts and headed towards his office. The blinds were drawn on his office window which was for safety reasons. He approached the pale brown door and struggled to figure out a way to get his keys. He looked around for something to put his coffee on but the closets thing around was a small side table that was housing a decorative indoor plant.

"Don't worry, Logan! I've got you." A cheery voice rang from behind him. Logan didn't need to turn around to know that it was his younger brother Patton. He turned around anyway for the sake of being nice. Logan stuck out his hip to Patton so that he could easily get the keys off the carabiner that was attached to a belt loop.

Patton wasted no time, knowing exactly what key it was. He stuck it inside the lock and jiggled it around. When the click was heard, Patton smiled happily and opened the door for his brother. Logan barreled inside and dropped all of his papers onto his desk and set his coffee on a small coaster.

Logan's desk wasn't very big but, it fit everything he needed. It had his work computer and keyboard along with two metal wire basket filled with papers. One basket labeled, 'In' the other labeled, 'Out'. He also had a picture of himself and his brother from back when Logan first graduated college. It was a picture of simpler times.

His actual office wasn't the biggest either. He had a window behind his desk and a big house plant in the corner. The walls were painted a light brown which was mostly covered with bulletin boards. On those boards were filled with newspaper clippings about Logan and his work, pictures, and drawings from little kids who considered him a hero. Logan insisted that he was just doing his job though.

Logan turned around to Patton. Despite being brothers, they looked pretty different. Patton had light brown curly hair, a very round nose and a light dusting of freckles. His eyes were blue, like their mom's, and he wore round glasses. Logan on the other hand wore square glasses and had his father's brown eyes. He dawned no freckles and had flat dark brown hair. One thing they did share though, was disconnected ear lobes. Genetics were fascinating to Logan; it was the main reason that biology was his college minor.

"How was the case last night?" Patton said, starting up the conversation.

"It went alright. All the evidence I gathered rendered the lawyer speechless. He said the one in question would surely be sent to prison now." Logan sighed. He brother beamed happily at him, bouncing on the balls on his feet.

"Oh Logan, that's wonderful!" Logan nodded and pursed his lips.

"How was the date with Remy last night?" Logan thought his question was innocent, but the way Patton's face hit the floor filled him with sorrow. "What happened this time?"

"Oh, n-nothing. We just didn't get home until really really late. I'm just tired." Logan could tell there was more to this.

"Patton, you really shouldn't lie to a detective." Logan chuckled. Patton laughed along too but his laugh fell short. He rubbed his arm with nervous tension. "Did he get drunk again?" Patton bit his lip and nodded.

"H-He tried to...tried to...r-rape me...again." Patton stuttered. Logan wasn't one for emotions, but he could feel the sadness radiating off his brother. He laced his arms around his brother and Patton returned it. He held in his sobs, not wanting to cry into his brother's nice work shirt.

Patton let go and stepped away from his brother. Logan rested his hands on Patton's shoulders. "You need to break up with him!" He pleaded.

"I-I know....I know." I responded. "I just have to do it when he's in a good mood."

"The only time he's in a good mood is when he's drunk, Patton! You can't tell him then, he'll beat the shit out of you!"

"Language!" Patton whisper shouted. Logan took a breath and calmed down. His shook out his hands.

"I wished you'd take my advice, Pat. You could file a police report. I can round up all the evidence, which you have plenty of, and he could be sent away! For good!" Logan pleaded. Patton was hiding behind his hands, his eyes were wet and shining. He sniffed and wiped his nose with his sleeve.

"I can't do that, Logan. I know how he treats me but, I still love him. At least, I'm pretty such I do." Patton's words were shaky. Logan liked to stay away from family drama, but his brother was different. The brothers have always had each other's backs. It be terrible to lose that trust now.

Logan turned around, going behind his desk and sitting in his chair. "You know Remy better than I do, Patton. If you think you should wait, I won't stop you." Logan said, sticking his hands up in surrender. Patton shook his head and sighed.

"No, you are right Logan. I'll do it." He walked out of the room and Logan could barely make out the words, "Just not today."