Chapter Twenty Three

Roman pulled up to the area Remy described. Logan inspected the area, the college was in session and college students riddled the sidewalks. The area seemed normal. No out of the ordinary buildings or sketchy people walking around. It was normal. Logan didn't like it.

The two exited the cop car and snooped around. Roman kept his hand on his gun, not removing the gun just yet. The surrounding trees blew an ominous wind towards the two. Roman shivered at it but Logan stood his ground.

"This seems like a goose chase!" Roman declared, scratching the back of his head. "How do we know Remy wasn't lying to us! Or that Remus and his little army didn't switch bases!"

"No, it has to be here. Virgil said he originally got kidnapped walking to college." Logan said, pointing to the college campus in front of them. "Damion wouldn't have wanted to drag him super far unless his base was nearby." Roman nodded in agreement. The two became silent, simply looking at the college campus while shuffling through their thoughts.

"You know, when I attended college, there is one place that I can think of that would make a great base." Roman blurted. Logan jerked his head to the side, telling Roman to take the lead. He did, guiding the detective down the street and through the old campus.

Logan's mind flooded him with memories. The giant library where Logan would stay from opening 'till closing during most of his free days. The big classroom buildings that Logan learned everything he knows. He remembered the campus like the back of his hand. But there was hardly anytime to reminisce as Logan was having a hard time keeping up with Roman.

After their voyage, the two stopped their journey. The building in front of them was far from the main college. No one else was around. It would be a perfect spot if you wanted to be unnoticed. Logan glanced up at the building in front of them, his heart dropping slightly. "The nurse's pavilion?" Logan asked.

"More specifically, the surgeon's area. It's been abandon for a long time. Lots of rumors went around that they never removed the surgery tools from inside it." Roman finished, biting his lip. His risked a glance to Logan. His face read heartbreak. Just the idea of what they could be doing to Virgil with all the sharp surgery equipment.

"We've gotta get in there!" Logan mumbled. He took a step towards the door but was stopped by Roman pulling him back.

"Take a step back, calculator watch. This is Remus', once Damion Lye's, hideout. We cannot just walk in unnoticed."

"You're right. We need a back entrance of some sort." Logan agreed. The two walked around the sides of the old landmark. Logan was beginning to lose hope. Every window was either boarded or locked.

They reached the very back of the building. There stood an old door, barely hanging on its hinges. The officer looked to the detective. He nodded in approval. Roman walked up to the door, using his shoulder, he rammed into the door which fell collapsed instantly.

Logan followed Roman inside. The officer drew his gun, pointing it out in front of him. Logan pulled his phone out of his pocket, turning on the flashlight. They could see why most of the windows were boarded now. Glass riddled the floor along with red stains on the concrete floor.

Logan shuddered. He had never seen this place. Even while he was a student. There was no point for him to come over to this side of campus. Roman pushed Logan's back to the wall as two men wandered out of a room in front of them. They couldn't understand what they were saying, but they were laughing.

Once it was clear, Roman proceeded. He lead Logan ahead, they quietly followed the goons. Staying a healthy distance away from them, not wanting to be noticed. Roman kept a look out behind them while Logan made sure the two goons didn't turn around to see them.

The tension was high. This had to be the place. Virgil had to be here. If he wasn't, Logan wouldn't know what to do next.

The men Logan and Roman were following stopped. The two took cover behind some crates in the room. They stood in front of a door that required a key card. One of them pulled it out of his pocket and went to put it to the scanner. Before Logan could process, Roman stood up from his crate. The officer then shoved the goon without the key card's head into the wall, watching him sink to the floor upon impact. Roman then wrapped the guy with the key card into a choke hold. The man kept squirming, but when he dropped the key card, Roman let him fall limply to the floor.

Logan came up behind Roman and grabbed the key card. "Smooth." Logan said ironically.

"What? It worked, didn't it?" Logan rolled his eyes as he scanned the key card. The door swung open and the two walked inside. As soon as the door shut behind them, the air felt different. Logan felt chills crawl up his spine. He didn't like this. He soon understood why. Both Roman and Logan's vision suddenly became obscured by burlap sacks placed tightly over their heads.

Roman attacked quickly, throwing his elbow into the goon's stomach that was behind him. He removed the bag from his head, moving over to Logan's aid. He pushed away Logan's goon and kicked him to the floor. Logan got the bag off his head and looked back at the goons who were getting up.

Logan grabbed Roman's wrist and ran with him towards the other end of the room. The two goons were right on their tails. Roman fiddled with his gun as Logan came to a stop. It was a dead end. Both the boys turned on their heels to face these criminals. The guy in front of Logan was holding a baseball bat. Logan swallowed his nerves.

"Drop the bat!" Roman shouted to the guy. The man only laughed. He stepped forwards and swung the bat, hitting Logan square in the head. The detective's vision began to spin and his body swayed as the pain quickly rose in his head. Logan fell to floor, his eyes glued shut.

Roman fired his gun at the man who dodged it by an inch. The other goon kicked Roman between the legs. The officer dropped the gun and lower himself to his knees. He shook his head, trying to get the sickness in his stomach to leave him. When he looked up again, the one with the bat was holding it above his head. Roman braced for impact as the bat came down on his head.

Roman collapsed to the floor. The last thing he could hear was the snickering of the goons and his own moaning from the pain spreading through his body as he dropped into sleep.