Chapter Ten

Logan walked inside the police station with Virgil right behind him. Virgil scanned the place with anxious eyes. Watching everyone as if they were out to get him. Logan supposed he understood. Being a registered criminal would probably do that to you.

They continued until they were in front of the evidence locker. Logan dug his keys from out of his deep pockets, scanning his key card and listening for the door to click open. Logan grabbed the metal door's handle and pulled it open for the emo behind him. Virgil blushed to Logan who's cheeks lit up a subtle red in return.

Virgil proceed into the evidence locker as Logan followed behind, letting the door shut. Logan looked around the room; somewhere he hadn't been in a long time. Everything the station had ever collected from the town's criminals. Everything from guns, knifes, and make-shift bombs.

Logan lead Virgil to his shelf. Logan was moving quickly as this room made him uneasy. They both stopped next to the shelf labeled, #04891219, Virgil's number. On the shelf laid a lump of clothes, some earbuds, and a small pocket knife. Virgil's face lit up as he grabbed them and checked to make sure everything was there. He smiled happily to Logan which made them both blush. Virgil gave a stiff laugh, rubbing the back of his head.

"There is a changing room behind you, if you are at all interested." Logan said, his blush dying down. Virgil nodded and walked inside the changing room. Logan turned his gaze to the door they entered from. No one was there. Logan let out a breath, the air was thick with tension. The last time Logan was in this room, he had finished arresting Damion for the first time. The room held these memories above his head. Taunting him, but he couldn't let it show. Not in front of Virgil.

Logan noticed the shelf above Virgil's. #05890213. Damion's things. Logan's curiosity  pulled him closer to the shelf. All of his items were already cleared. There was no need for them if he was dead, right? Logan sighed. He was once so close to figuring out Damion's motives and drive. However, all of that was in the past now. He had to believe that if he wanted to fully focus on Virgil's case.

The changing room door swung open and Virgil walked out with a half smile creeping up his face. Logan was breathless. Virgil wore a dark purple ripped shirt under a black jacket with purple patches. He also wore torn black jeans and black combat boots. His hands were casually in his pockets, fiddling with his pocket knife and ear buds, as he risked a glance at Logan.

"I think black suits you better." Logan commented.

"I think black feels better than that orange." Virgil remarked. They both exited the locker, Logan shutting the door firmly behind them. They proceeded out to the main lobby, Logan leading Virgil upstairs to his office. Virgil still seemed uneasy with all the people. Logan took note of this.

Logan opened his office door for Virgil who walked inside. Virgil's eyes were bouncing from picture to picture on Logan's bulletin board. Logan hummed in amusement and sat down at his desk. "Quite the hero, huh?" Virgil mumbled.

"You could say that." Logan shrugged, pushing his glasses further onto his face. Virgil started to make his way towards the newspaper clippings now. Reading each of them carefully.

"Almost all of these are on Damion. He was your number one priority, wasn't he?" Logan pulled his collar away from his neck.

"Well, yes. He messed with my family. And that wasn't okay." Logan stated. Logan could swear he saw Virgil flinch a little bit but he didn't press the matter. Virgil stepped away from the board and took a seat across from Logan. The detective turned to his computer and pulled up Damion's last known locations before he was killed.

"Alright, we've got a big assignment ahead of us and a week to do it. I suggest we gather as much information as we can about who can help prove you not guilty and go from there." Logan suggested. Virgil nodded and relaxed a bit more in his chair. Virgil kept looking from the floor to Logan.

"Thank you." Virgil blurted. Logan raised an eyebrow.

"What was that?"

"I-I... I said, 'thank you' for... you know, helping me. I just am not used to people having my back, I guess." Virgil rubbed his arm out of nerves. Logan's small smile blossomed wider. His heart was beating heavily. Why was this man so adorable?

"It's nothing Virgil. It's my job. Besides, you aren't guilty." Logan said confidently. Virgil looked back down at the ground with a red dusting on his face. Logan began typing at his computer before looking back at Virgil again. "Who would've seen you that night before you got arrested?" Logan asked.

"That's the thing! The part of town is free of security cameras and it was past midnight! I doubt anyone was around to see Damion die and then watch me find him." Virgil said in a breath. He leaned back in his chair, rubbing his head. A few tears slipped down his face. Logan pushed the small tissue box on his desk closer to Virgil.

"Maybe I am guilty. Maybe I'm just in denial or I don't know what I saw." Virgil huffed.

"Hey, don't say that. You aren't guilty. You're afraid; it's okay to feel that way, Virgil." Logan comforted him. Virgil dried his tears and nodded in agreement, sitting back up. "Where did you find Damion?"

"West 5th & Park. Between two brick buildings."

"Would that location have any significance to Damion?" Virgil sat on that question for a second before his face lit up with realization.

"That's where he would do drug deals or wait for on-coming pedestrians so he could rob them!"

"A bet those drug dealers are our best options for questionings. What else?"

"S-Sometimes, there is a man in the park with a hot dog cart. I don't know if he'd been out there past midnight but that might be worth a shot." Virgil was starting to feel better about this case already. Logan pondered the location in his head for a second. His face lit up for a small moment, leaving Virgil on the edge of his seat.

"There is a museum across the street, they have to have cameras!" Logan exclaimed. He stood up and grabbed his bag. Virgil had a very confused look but Logan's lip rose to a smirk. "Come on, the museum is still open."