Chapter Two

Logan sat at his desk, his eyes were scanning a report on his computer. It was later in the day now, many people had gone home but Logan was determined to wrap up this case. Plus, he had some time to kill.

Logan rubbed his tired face. His glasses were folded up neatly on his desk. When his day mainly consists of looking at his computer, he exchanges his vision for a horrible migraine later. Logan's face was only a few inches from the screen, the font was so small. He reached over to take a sip of the water Patton had brought him early. The water wasn't cold anymore but it helped his desert-like throat.

He typed in some of his final thoughts about the case in his notes. The case was pretty mundane; someone robbed a store, he blamed his boss, he gets sent to court and says he's 'not guilty.' Logan hardly had to read the case to know that this was the work of the local kingpin, Damion Lye or Deceit. But of course, it was his job to figure out if the defendant is telling the truth or not. He finished up his thoughts and shutdown his computer for the night. He sighed and leaned back in his stiff chair. His small clock that hung on the wall read the time, 4:59 pm. Another day, another dollar.

Logan stood up and grabbed his important papers he brought with him this morning and stepped out of his office. Taking his keys, the door locked behind him and he continued to trot down the many stairs.

As Logan hit the ground floor, he couldn't help but notice the receptionist still hadn't left. He smiled and sauntered over to the busy worker. Logan caught the eyes of his brother who turned his attention to him. "Clocking out?" Patton asked.

"Yep." Logan nodded. Patton's desk was round and filled with pictures and knick knacks. Most of the photos were of himself and Logan, but one was of the big Sanders Family Reunion they did about four years ago. Even though the pictures were nice to look at, Logan's eyes were drawn to the new addition to Patton's desk. "They finally gave you a plaque for your name, huh?" Logan picked it up and inspected it from all angles.

"Yeah, they spelled my name right this time!" Patton cheered. Logan gave a small laugh and set the plaque back down. Patton's eyes drifted away from Logan to staring out the front door, not really focusing on anything but his swarming thoughts. He turned back to Logan and sighed. "I want to thank you for what you said earlier, Logan." Patton started.

Logan raised his eyebrow in confusion before Patton handed him a folder which read it bold letters on the cover, "Patton Sanders: Rape Charge against Remy Sandmen." Logan smiled proudly at his brother who returned a shy, nervous looking expression.

"I know it doesn't seem like it, but this is a step in the right direction." Logan said. Patton agreed and went through the process of shutting down his computer. Logan and Patton always walked out together. Even on Patton's first day on the job, Logan waited for him.

Logan had been working in the police force for nine years and Patton for only three years. While they did have wildly different jobs at the police station, they loved being able to see each other everyday.

Patton grabbed his bag and stood up, pushing in his chair. He grabbed a big set of keys as they approached the main exit. Patton opened the door for Logan who nodded his head in thanks and stepped out. Patton followed, shutting the doors firmly before taking his keys to lock the door. He then put the keys in his pocket and the two began walking around the building to the staff parking lot.

Patton skipped along side Logan, humming an unfamiliar tune. They rounded the corner and Logan scanned the parking lot, "Where's your car, Pat?" He asked, slightly nervous.

"Oh, Remy insisted on taking the car today." Patton answered. Logan's eyes narrowed.

"His work is a 15 minute walk from your apartment!"

"But a three minute drive. It's fine. I just took the bus." Patton finished. Logan sighed and tapped his foot. Logan was so conflicted. How could Patton not be annoyed by everything his "boyfriend" was doing to him.

"You need a ride home?" Logan questioned, digging for his key. Patton nodded slowly as they proceed to Logan's old car.

"I just don't get it!" Logan blurted. "How can you let Remy walk all over you like this?"

"Love makes you do strange things." Patton shrugged. Love. The word made Logan shudder. Such a useless emotion in his opinion. How can the mind be so easily fooled by one human being?

Logan unlocked his car and the two got inside. They shut the doors but Logan hesitated when it came to putting the key into the ignition. "What's up, Lo?" Patton asked.

"I just remembered, I have an appointment with Picani this evening." He looked at Patton, who sighed in sadness.

"T-That's okay. The bus isn't that bad." Patton started. Before he could open the door to leave, Logan grabbed his arm. Patton looked between his hand and his brother's face.

"What I mean is, I think you should come." Patton's gazed shifted from afraid to confused. "Look Patton, you can't hide the pain Remy is causing you. It's about as plain as day. You know Emile can help you out. At least give it a try?" Logan paused, waiting for an answer. Patton cleared his throat and looked of the window, pondering the offer.

"Do you think Emile would be upset that you bring me too?" Patton questioned.

"No. He's our cousin. Besides, this is what he lives for." Patton finally gave in and Logan started the car. The engine whirred to life. Logan changed gears and pulled out of his parking space. He proceed towards the parking lot's exit. He took a quick look over to Patton who was on his phone. Logan could see that he was texting his boyfriend. From the texts Patton was receiving, Remy was not happy.

Patton put his phone on silence and gazed out the window. Logan quietly drove the route that was engraved in his memory. The two rode off in silence.