Chapter Three

Logan drove out onto the entrance to the highway. The streets were pretty calm at this time of night. There were more cars heading out of town than into town. Logan increased his speed as he flowed onto the highway. The route to Picani's work was ingrained in his muscle memory. Patton was curled up in the passenger seat. He had been texting Remy for the entire drive, trying to calm him down. Logan was focused on the road but couldn't help but feel his brother's uncomfortable vibe. "Penny for your thoughts, Patton?" Logan spoke, breaking the silence. Patton seemed very deep in thought as he jumped in surprise when Logan spoke.

"Maybe I shouldn't go with you." Patton said. Logan's expression turned into worry as his brother continued, "Remy doesn't seem happy that I won't be home until later. G-Get off at the next exit, I'll take a bus from there." Logan gripped the wheel tighter and sped up a little, passing the exit Patton was referencing. Patton looked to Logan in slight surprise. "Logan, I asked to get out."

"Remy asked you to get out!" Logan returned. "Pat, you can't let Remy govern your life. You and I both know what he'll do to you as soon as you get home. Besides, going to Picani's therapy will help." Logan turned off the highway and pulled up to the red stoplight. It turned green upon their arrival. Logan guided the car onto the next street and slowed his speed, pulling into Picani's work complex.

Logan pulled into the half full parking lot and parked close to Picani's office. Logan shut the car off and shifted to face Patton. Patton wiped some stray tears, not facing Logan but looking straight out the window. "Are you ready?" Logan asked nervously. Patton nodded and opened the car door. Logan followed, opening his door, getting out of his car and shutting the door behind him.

Patton shut his door and Logan locked his car. They both walked up to Picani's office and went inside. The office was small, it had a couple of motivational posters on the walls and a small receptionist desk. The brothers walked up to the desk and rung the small bell that sat on it.

As soon as the bell rang, a face hidden behind some thickly rimmed glasses poked around the corner. Logan smiled at his cousin who was making his way to the desk. Emile had a light pink blazer on with a light brown shirt underneath it. He wore gray pants and had a clipboard resting in the bend of his arm. "Logan! Patton! It's been too long!" Emile exclaimed. He walked around to the two and gave them both warm hugs.

Emile looked down at his clipboard and looked at his cousins, slightly curious. "Logan, I only have you as a client..."

"Yes, well, Patton is having some...relationship issues. I thought it would benefit Patton if he came along." Logan stated. Emile nodded happily. As Logan predicted, Emile would be happy to help. He lead them back into one of the rooms. Patton and Logan sat next to each other on the therapy couch as Emile took a seat in his chair.

He balanced the clipboard on his knees and messed with the pen in his hands. "Patton, we'll start with you." Emile said. Patton shifted oddly in his seat, cleared his throat, and searched for his words. His hands were rattling but he spat his words out anyway.

"For about 4 months, I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend, Remy. He moved in with me during our third week of dating because his old landlord kicked him out. A couple weeks after that, he got fired from his job. He was declining mentally and emotionally, I could see it. Then, he started taking interests in drinking. Which lead to him....w-wanting me...n-naked a-a-and at his will." Patton stopped and leaned into Logan, sobbing quietly. Logan grabbed his brother's soft hand, holding onto to it lovingly. Emile tapped his pen to his chin.

"If I may add my thoughts." Emile started, making Patton face him through crying eyes. "As I'm sure Logan has told you, breaking up with him is the best idea. However, that is sometimes hard to do. In that case, I'd tell him what's on your mind. If nothing changes after that, then this Remy person, isn't the right guy for you." Emile smiled at Patton and Patton nodded in exchange. He pushed himself up against his brother, sniffling. Emile than turned to Logan, clicking his pen, ready to write. "Now, how's work, Logan?"

"It's fine. The chief said, 'I should take some more days off' but, I don't want to...fail again." Logan's words caught his brother's attention. He looked between him and Emile, begging for answers.

"I think the chief is correct. I know how you feel about missing work but the world won't collapse without you. You just have to remind yourself of that." Logan nodded and sighed. His head was hurting, trying to wrap his head around missing work again. Logan stood up from the chair, Patton following. They both hugged their cousin again and left the complex.

They walked back to Logan's car in a back breaking silence. They got to the car, Logan unlocked it and they both got in. Logan was about to stick the key into the ignition, "Lo?" Patton questioned. Logan stopped. "Are you still stuck on Mom and Dad?" Logan sighed and fell back into his seat. He put his hand on his forehead, trying to clear his mind. He'd been going to Emile ever since the accident happened, nothing has helped. It seemed only stacking more work on top of his, already busy life, helped him.

"Yes. Patton, I am." Logan admitted. Patton's shoulders slumped.

"You know that wasn't your fault."

"I get that Patton!" Logan snapped. Patton flinched and Logan felt the guilt swim in his stomach. He put the key in the ignition and put on his seat belt. Patton put his seat belt on as well and Logan drove out of the parking lot. Patton cuddled into his seat and slowly fell into a restless sleep. Logan took a deep breath, secretly wishing he never brought Patton along. He knew Patton deserved to know that Logan still felt awful about everything. But Logan was too far gone to save. He already blamed himself too much.