Chapter Twenty Five

Logan opened his eyes groggily. His head ached, feeling slowly returning to his bones. He lifted his head, the dense pressure in his head making it difficult for him. He looked around, everything coming back into focus. He couldn't remember what happened last, but he could understand what was happening now.

Virgil laid lifeless in front of a panting Remus Gray. A knife handle stuck of Virgil's chest, near his heart. The adrenaline in Logan began to pump. It all happened so quickly. And there was nothing Logan could've done to stop it. Logan's hands began to shake, a memory from deep inside him rattling his core.

Remus looked around him, not yet noticing Logan was awake. The crazed man left the room, yelling could be heard from other room but Logan didn't care. He couldn't tear his eyes away from Virgil.

Roman began to stir as well. Opening his eyes, he shifted his body; wanting to move into a better position. His fully awake eyes landed on Logan. He shuffled closer to him, taking his tied hands into his own. "Logan! Logan, look at me!" Roman pleaded. The detective shook his head, sweat running down his brow.

Roman followed his gaze, gasping upon seeing Virgil. He looked back to Logan, holding his hands tighter. "Logan, you need to calm down!"

"I-I-I ca-can't save a-anyone!" Logan mumbled, breaking into a sob. Roman understood now, it made sense.

"No, it's not too late. We can get him to a hospital, he's not gone yet." Roman comforted him. Logan leaned into Roman's shoulder, crying heavily. Roman let him cry while undoing Logan's ropes around his hands. He watched the rope fall to the floor. He then untied his own with his teeth.

The officer rubbed his freed wrists. Logan lifted his head from Roman's shoulder, his eyes were bloodshot and his face was tired. "Feel better?" Roman questioned. Logan hummed and nodded. Roman flashed him a smile and the two crawled out of the cage they were stuck in.

Logan quickly moved over to Virgil. Blood was still flowing from his wound, along with the cut on his cheek slowly dripping blood. Roman stood up and approached the two, watching Logan examine him. "He should be fine but he doesn't have a lot of time." Logan said, glancing up to Roman.

"Then we have to get out of here, now!" Roman agreed. He bent down and scooped Virgil up in his arms, the boy was releasing small groans in return but was unable to resist. Logan led the way as the two ran around the building, trying to find an exit.

Logan reached for the radio attached to Roman's belt. He brought it to his mouth, hitting the top button, "Patton! Patton, are you there? Over." Logan called out to the radio. The detective and officer came to a new door, Logan opened it wide. Roman stepped back as he saw who was inside the door.

"Well, isn't this a surprise!" Remus growled through gritted teeth. Every step Remus took forward, the two took steps back. Remus was wielding a dagger in each of his hands. "You two have caused quite the commotion here. I intend to end that." Remus spun the daggers between his fingers, a smirk spreading across his face.

Roman quickly gave Virgil to Logan who became surprised. "Get him out of here. I can take this lunatic." Roman declared, getting into a fighting stance.

"No one is going anywhere!" Remus yelled out. He gained both of the boys' attention. His smirk only grew. "You know, when Virgil got arrested, I thought that was the end of Damion's legacy. It being dragged away with the very person framed for his death!" Remus snickered.

"So then you did kill, Damion?" Logan questioned, fidgeting the radio in his hands.

"Of course. It was quite simple. A little bit of cyanide in your wine and you're gone within the hour!" Roman looked over to Logan, they shared a concerned glance. "Then I heard Virgil was pleading not guilty. That's when I had to step back in..."

"You wanted to make sure your hands seemed clean by all means, didn't you?" Roman said, piecing the puzzle together.

"Yes!"

"I don't understand why though." Logan pondered aloud. "Remy said, you were Damion's everything!"

"Perhaps, but Damion was growing soft. Not wanting to kill anybody anymore. But what's a good time without a little blood?" Remus giggled. Logan began to grow a smile on his face. Remus' looked upon him, noticing his finger was holding down the button on his radio.

"Did you get all that, Patton? Over." Logan asked to the radio.

"Yep! More units and an ambulance are on the way!" Patton declared. Roman's face lifted with laughter, Remus' ears practically puffed out hot steam.

"They'll need more than one ambulance when I'm done with you!" Remus shouted. With that, he launched himself at Roman. The officer dodged him, letting the crazed man stumble forward. Roman grabbed Remus' arm and twisted it behind his back. Remus let out a odd scream while Roman kicked in the back of Remus' knee, lowering him.

Remus fought against Roman, breaking free. He stood up and threw one of his daggers at The Officer. It hit him in the arm, causing Roman to scream. Remus turned to Logan. The detective was shaking so much, he was struggling to hold Virgil in his arms. "This all ends now!" Remus shouted.

Remus grabbed Virgil roughly from Logan's arms. Then, pushed Logan's head into the wall. His vision spun but he only fell to the ground, trying to regain his balance. Remus threw Virgil to the ground and removed the dagger still inside the poor man's chest. The wound started to bleed again but Remus didn't care.

He raised the dagger over his head, ready to send it down, but he stopped. A loud noise rang through the room. Remus' body figure shrunk. Logan shook the sick feeling from his head and looked over at Roman, pointing a gun at Remus with one bullet on the floor.

Remus turned back to look at Roman, shock glued to his face. Remus let out a low laugh. "This changes nothing." He growled.

"I think it does." Roman argued. The sound of doors slamming open rang through the building as more cops and paramedics rushed through the old building. Two other officers arrested Remus while the paramedics treated Logan and Roman.

Logan could see they were loading Virgil on a stretcher. The detective rushed upwards and ran towards the ambulance. "Please, is there room for one more?" Logan pleaded. All the paramedics looked at each other before nodding. Logan smiled and jumped inside, watching Virgil's chest slowly rise and fall. A smile spread over his face. Everything was alright.