Chapter Nine

Logan knew he had the day off. Logan knew that he should take the day for himself after the events of yesterday. But Logan couldn't allow himself to be alone in his apartment all day when he knew, Virgil's court hearing was today. Logan usually went to all of his clients' hearing but Thomas told him to relax and enjoy the day.

Logan didn't want to. Virgil was so much different than his other cases. The other cases he hated going to but if Virgil's sentence was on the line, how could Logan not be there? Logan put on his best suit, grabbed his car keys and hopped down the set of his stairs to his apartment's ground floor.

He exited the building and headed towards his car. Unlocking and opening the door, he stuck the key into the ignition and felt the engine roar with life. He placed his hands on the wheel and pulled out of his parking spot and moving to the main road. His heart was pounding with something he thought was a mix of joy and anticipation. He merged onto the highway and relaxed as the sounds of the car put him at ease.

Getting off of the highway, Logan directed the car into the courtroom's parking lot and parked in front. He ejected his keys and stored them safely in his pocket. The detective got out of his car and walked inside the courtroom. It was a nice building. It had a lot of natural light entering the through the massive windows. Logan wandered to the main desk where a woman sat. She gave Logan a friendly smile. "Hi, I'm looking for Virgil Black's hearing?" Logan said like a question.

"Are you friend, family, or jury?" The lady asked.

"Friend." Logan stated. The kind lady pointed to a back room and told Logan he shouldn't have missed much. Logan thanked her and followed her directions. He opened the door quietly and scanned the room with his eyes. The jury was full and the seats in the back weren't very full. Logan made his way over to those seats like a spy, sitting down calmly and listening in.

Virgil was in the defendant's chair with a slightly angry lawyer sitting next to him. Virgil's hands were cuffed in front of him and his face was drowned in sweat. "Could I please see, Mr. Black's criminal and personal records please?" The judge bellowed. Roman, who was the security guard for the case, took the file from Virgil's table and walked it over to the judge.

The judge looked inside it, examining every word like he could miss something very important. "It says here you were kidnapped at age 15 by Damion Lye. Is that true, Mr. Black?" The judge called. Virgil nodded fearfully. The judge looked back at the file before putting it down and looking Virgil in the eyes. "Are you aware, Damion Lye was murdered less than 4 days ago, Mr. Black? And that you were there at the crime scene when the police first found Damion Lye?!" Logan didn't like the judge's tone anymore.

"Y-Y-Yes, I-I'm aware...s-s-s-sir." Virgil stuttered. Logan's eyes narrowed, he hated seeing Virgil like this.

"How am I to know that you didn't kill Damion Lye, Mr. Black? Do you have any proof or an alibi?" The judge spat. Virgil flinched at his words but shook his head. A long sigh came from the judge. "These types of hearing really waste my time." He mumbled. Virgil hung his head. Logan's face was glowing red with anger. He was holding onto the chair in front of him so hard, his knuckles were turning white. "Does the jury have a verdict?" The judge asked.

Quiet echos swept around the room as the jury started to reach a conclusion. Virgil's lawyer hadn't even gotten a chance to speak but by the looks on his face, he didn't have anything to clear his name. This was a nightmare. 

"The jury has reached a decision!" The judge hollered, "Virgil Black!" He roared, grabbing his gavel. "I hear by sentence you, guilty to the second-degree murder of Damion Lye!" His gavel lowered to his desk. Logan gathered his courage and darted straight up.

"Stop!" Logan hollered before the judge could hit the gavel. All of the courtroom's eyes were on him, including Virgil's hopeful eyes. "I object!" Logan continued. The judge rolled his eyes and laughed to himself.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but you're not in the jury therefore: your word means nothing to me."

"You're right, I'm not in the jury. But that doesn't mean I don't have a voice." Logan walked out of the aisle his seat was in and made his way to the judge. Roman didn't stop him, he could see the flames on the sides of Logan's face. He knew to stay back. Logan pulled his badge out of his pocket and shoved it into the judge's face. "Detective Logan Sanders. Do you see the badge, sir?" Logan inquired.

"Yes, I see your badge; what's your point?!" The judge whined.

"Mr. Black is my case and I can say for certain, he is not guilty."

"Well, do YOU have any proof or an alibi for Mr. Black?" Logan stopped at that question. He looked back to Virgil who flashed him a smile and gave him a thumbs up. Logan smirked and faced the judge again.

"Perhaps I do not, but I can get one to you." Logan took a breath. "Here's what going to happen here. You are going to give me a week to get Virgil's proof and alibi to you. And then we'll all meet back here. Same time, same place." The judge's features narrowed, the idea swimming through his thoughts. Logan's smirk didn't drop, he knew he was winning.

"Fine," The judge said, finally giving in. "You have one week to do so-"

"And Virgil gets to parole with me until next week!" Logan quickly spoke. The jury gasped and Virgil was left with a shocked expression. He couldn't believe what Logan was trying to do. It was enough to Virgil that Logan even stick up for him.

The judge's eyes were wide, the panic obvious on his face. He looked to Roman who just shrugged with a sly look on his face. The judge banged his gavel on the desk, making Logan jump. "I hereby grant Virgil Black, one week parole under the supervision of Detective Logan Sanders. Court adjourned." The gavel came down once again and the judge stood up. He shoved Virgil's file into Logan's chest and leaned into Logan, so only he could hear him. "Good luck, you're gonna need it." The judge then walked out of the room, leaving Logan slightly shocked.

Logan went over to Virgil's table. Virgil looked at him, so much happiness was in his eyes alone, Logan couldn't help but blush. "Thank you." Virgil breathed.

"Of course, that's what friends do. Now come on, I'm taking you to the station; we're getting your normal clothes back. Orange isn't your color."