Chapter Twenty Six

Logan pulled up to the courthouse in his nicest suit. The detective had a good feeling about today, a smirk present on his face. He grabbed Virgil's evidence file and tucked it under his arm. He exited his car and locked it behind him, feeling the wind blow through his hair like his own cheer squad.

Logan entered the courthouse, showing the lady at the front desk, his badge and proceeding inside. Everything looked the same from the previous Saturday. The same jury, the same lawyers, the same judge. Roman also stood in uniform in front of the judge's post. He had a sling around the arm that got stabbed.

Roman smiled as Logan approached. "How're you feeling about this?"

"Ready. This judge doesn't know what's coming for him." Logan laughed. Roman nodded, wishing Logan luck.

Logan took a seat next to Virgil's lawyer. The lawyer flashed him a nervous glance but reeled back when he released that Virgil wasn't here. "Where's Mr. Black?"

"I'm afraid he's still recovering from the stabbing. Although, I'm planning to visit him after this so hopefully, this won't take too long." Logan concluded, taking the file and placing it on the table.

The clock struck 9. The judge released a hearty sigh. "Alright, let's get this over with." He said, with a bang of his gavel. "Today we settle the case for Mr. Virgil Black in the charge of murdering Mr. Damion Lye more than a week ago. Defendant, who do you plea?"

Virgil's lawyer looked to Logan. The confident young detective smiled and folded his hands together. "Not guilty."

"Oh, I see you've returned, Detective Sanders." The judge huffed with an eye roll.

"Indeed, I have. And I have somethings I think you need to see." Logan said, taking the file and walking it up to the judge. Logan presented it to the judge as if he was a waiter at a fancy restaurant. The judge snatched it from him and opened it up.

"What am I looking at, Detective?"

"One of the many things you have are play-by-play photos of Mr. Black first finding Mr. Lye's body in the alleyway near the college. These were taken from the museum's security cameras. You can clearly see that Mr. Black had arrived second, did he not?" Logan questioned. The judge flipped through the pictures, sighing but nodding along with Logan. The jury broke out in small whispers.

"Next, you'll see a picture, taken by me, of Virgil's chest. Clearly littered with bruises, welts, and cuts. I think you'll agree, those injuries are in some places one couldn't hit or cut themselves. Wouldn't you say, your honor?"

"I have to agree with you there, Mr. Sanders. But that doesn't answer one thing. Who REALLY killed, Damion Lye?" The judge asked. Logan grew a smirk across his face, followed by Roman who couldn't help it.

"I'm glad you asked, you honor." Logan skipped back over to the judge, pointing to an audio transcript and an audio recorder. "We got the killer to admit it." Logan stated. The jury gasps and the judge's eyes widened.

"How did you manage that?" The judge asked.

"I'm better at my career than I seem." Logan said, pointing to his head. The judge grabbed the audio recorder and pressed play.

'So then you did kill, Damion?' Logan's voice filled the device's speakers. Logan smile was growing. Roman extended his hand and Logan met it in a quiet high five.

'Of course. It was quite simple. A little bit of cyanide in your wine and you're gone within the hour! Then I heard Virgil was pleading not guilty. That's when I had to step back in...' Remus' voice shocked the jury. It became clear, Logan was winning.

'You wanted to make sure your hands seemed clean by all means, didn't you?'

'Yes!'

The audio stopped and the jury went back to talking. The judge's face read shock and slight horror. "So, who was the man that admitted it, then?" The judge asked. The jury seemed to lean in, hanging on Logan's every word.

"The real murder of Damion Lye, is none other than Damion's lover: Remus Gray!" The judge sat back in his chair, rubbing the bridge of his nose. The jury looked to the judge. The lawyer looked to the judge. Roman and Logan looked to the judge. After a long moment of silence, the judge sighed.

"Mr. Sanders, I'm afraid I owe you an apology." The man grabbed his gavel, raising in the air. "I hereby sentence, FORMER prisoner #04891219, Virgil Black: Not guilty for the death of Damion Lye!" The gavel came down and the jury clapped. Logan bowed his head to the judge, a smile resting happily on his face.

"Thank you, your honor."

"And thank you, Mr. Sanders." The judge turned to Roman. "Remus Gray will be arrested as soon as he is in stable condition. As for Mr. Black..." Logan's heart stopped, he looked to the judge. A smile fell upon his face. "I wish Mr. Black a speedy recovery."

Logan nodded, reaching up to grab Virgil's file. Roman ran over to him, patting him on the shoulder. "That was absolutely incredible!" Roman declared happily. Another pair of arms wrapped around Logan's waist, hugging him tightly. Logan turned to see his brother.

"That really was awesome, Lo! You really showed that judge!" Patton said.

"I didn't realize you were here!" Logan said surprised.

"I was in the audience. I wasn't gonna miss this!" Logan and Roman both laughed as Patton let go of his older brother. Patton's hand snaked his way into Roman's. The two blushed, but Logan only rolled his eyes playfully. "How's Virgil?" Patton questioned. Logan's shoulders slumped.

"I was planning on seeing him after this. Last time I was there, he was going into the third round of surgery. Turns out Remus damaged some organs when he stabbed him. But that was only last night." Logan admitted, rubbing his arm. Roman and Patton shared a glance. Patton took Logan's hand, the brother's looking at each other deeply.

"Go get your Virgil." Patton told him. Logan nodded, releasing Patton's hand and jogging out of the courtroom. Roman grabbed Patton's hand again, pulling him close into a kiss. When they released, they watched Logan go.