Chapter 48

Promises
A drained Athena walks into the room and stops besides Javier. Then a deafening shriek reverberated among the walls.

~Athena's POV~
It wasn't enough that my parents were already dead. No it wasn't, my brother had to die too, and I had to feel every second of the excruciating process. The only person standing, neither in a coma nor dead, was now straggled on the bathroom floor drowning in her own blood. What have I done to be punished this way? Why did I deserve this?

The iron scent of blood mixed with the saltiness of the few tears which were forced out. My eyes have dried out after crying for two days.
Nurses pushed through me as I became oblivious of my surroundings. Javier handed me the note Heaven left and ordered me to go back to my room.

Reading the letters I felt a miscellany of emotions. Anger because of the fact that she was selfish, not thinking about the consequences to her actions. Forlorn and crestfallen, I was now the only one left other than Landon who had a slimmer of a chance of survival. In pain, in agonizing, splitting unendurable pain, and confused as-well as desperate. Since Justus died I've contemplated ending my life, but couldn't bring myself to do so for two reasons. Reason number one was because I am physically unable and afraid of hurting myself no matter how much I want to. Reason number two is because I know... Justus wouldn't want me to do this. I break down.

_ "hey... hey don't cry. Ssshhhh. Everything is going to be alright, trust me A, okay?" Two strong arms wrapped around me as light as a feather, barely there. It was more of a sweep of air, rather than a hug.

_ "J-Justus?" I take in the ghostly figure in-front of me.

_ "You didn't think I'd leave you, did you?" He offers me a heart warming smile. I start weeping harder.

_ "Please, I beg you please Justus come back please... I can't live without you. I can't. It hurts J... please make it stop"

_ "I'm sorry Athena, I'm sorry for letting you down, but you are not living without me. Yes I might not be here in the flesh, but I will always watch over you and be a piece of your heart. Please stop crying, I promise you, okay? I promise everything will get better. Just hold on."

_ "Hold on? I have lost my entire family, and my best friend. How the hell am I supposed to fucking hold on!?"

_ "My time is up Athena. Mom and Dad say hi, and they love you. No angel has been sent up yet..." he says, fading away. "No angel has been sent up yet" his voice echoes in my mind.

I am awoken abruptly. My heart beating insanely inside my chest was heard as I sat up.

The room started to ignite with colors of the dusk, as morning bled through the night.
A sniff was heard from the corner of the room. I turn towards the source of the sound only to be dumbfounded by the sight.

_ "No angel has been sent up yet" my brothers voice was faint in the back of my mind.

_ "I'm sorry for being selfish" sobbed a bandaged up, pale girl.

_ "Heaven" I sob as I run into her arms. We both erupt crying.

*Heaven's POV*
Athena and I spent the rest of the day together. We didn't speak, nor did we eat, nor did we move from our places. We spent the whole day, huddled on the little white bed in silence and grievance. Until Javier came.

Javier was dead mad at me. He lectured me on how stupid and selfish I was for trying to leave my best friend in a time of need. For fueling her pain. He yelled at me, asking me how he would have explained my death to Landon if he woke up. How if it weren't for the nurses agility and quick thinking, not only would have I died, but he would have too. He then mentioned Landon's family flying over, and so I wanted to check up on my boyfriend, because I was sure when his family came, there wouldn't be space for me in his room any longer. And so I left room 266 for the first time today to see him.