Chapter 6: The Explanation

''I guess after what we have done to your friend, you deserve to know why.'' He gestures us to take a seat on the cold ground with him. ''But it isn't  a fun story.''

''I can imagine.'' I answer back as I go sit down in front of him.
Lido comes to me from across the room, joining in now that everyone has settled down a bit.

The bunker is now completely silent. The man takes a deep breath, telling his story as if it just happened yesterday.

''It all started a few weeks ago, my kids had an emotional breakdown. They just couldn't take it anymore. All that forced grinning made them go crazy. So, I decided that they could show any emotion in the house, but when the two wanted to go outside, they needed to obey the rules of the government. It did make them feel better, but when it came to going outside, my two boys became much more hesitant in doing so. Which made me start to think that my decision was incorrect and only made things worse.

That's why the thought of leaving this place rushed through my head. So, they can be themselves without having to look out for cameras that watch their every movement... But that's when it went completely wrong...''

The man put his head in his hands in dismay. The two boys crawl towards him and hug him from the side. The man pets their heads and continues the story.

''I told the boys what my idea was. Obviously, they both agreed without a second thought. Why wouldn't they? They would be free from this forsaken place.  My thoughts were racing every day. Thinking, planning, scratching the plan and going back to thinking. Just ''leaving'' wasn't an easy option after all. I needed a solid plan.

One day, in the middle of my thought process, someone loudly banged on my front door. I walked to the front door, somehow feeling uneasy.
I opened it and I saw a government staff, dressed in neon clothing. Even though his outside was bright, his inside had me terrified. I tried hard not to crumble in fear before his intimidating aura as he cut right to the case;
''We have taken custody of your two sons for crying on school property. We would like you to come with us as well.'' Within a second he had me at his mercy. He grabbed my arms, holding them behind my back. He pushed me into the car with a sickening smile on his face.''

He then pauses his story.
''Then what happened? How did you escape?'' I ask curiously. But then I wonder, do I really want to know?''