Chapter Seventeen - Turn of Events

I pulled up in our driveway when Stacy’s mood suddenly changed in a nanosecond. She stepped out of the car and looked at the all too familiar black Honda parked outside the front of our house. It took me a few seconds to realise who's car it was, but as soon as it clicked, my mood went from happy to confused to pissed off. I was going to burst. How dare that bitch come to my house. 

We slowly walked up to the front door, I gently pulled Stacy behind my back keeping her close, protecting her from what was behind the door. I opened the door slowly to see if I could see anything, I walked into the kitchen with Stacy still sort of behind me. There she was, the bitch that I hated more then anyone.

“Stacy.”

“Hi mum…” She said quietly behind me.

We stayed like this for a few more moments before she spoke up. Every word that came out of that woman’s mouth made me want to rip out her voice box.

“You look good dear.” She said quietly

“What the hell do you want Debra?” I asked with my stare burning into her.

“I want my daughter back, I miss her. I know that what I did was wrong, and I shouldn't have treated her like that. Ive been to rehab and Ive got my life back in order. I want to start a family. Starting with my precious little Stacy.”

“No! You’re not taking her! She's the best thing thats ever happen to me and you’re the worst thing thats ever happen to her! She is not leaving!” 

Stacy held on to me tighter, I could feel her scared breaths against my shoulder.

“Can we at least talk about this?” She said twiddling her thumbs.

I thought about it for a few seconds before nodding, my eyes were still burning into her. How could she do this? After all she put her through she thinks she can just come back into Stacy’s life? Ha! Not if I can help it.

“Go on then.” I beckoned for her to give her side of the story before I made up my mid weather Stacy would be safe or not.

Stacy’s safety came before anything else. How did I know that her mum is just saying that so she can have someone to torment. Exactly, I didn’t!

“Well after Stacy left, I didn't care at first. But after the first month the house felt empty without knowing she was there. One night I brought someone home, but they didn't leave. They stayed and looked after me. I told him how I had a daughter but she left because my life was a wreck and frankly, I made her life hell. He told me that I should try and get her back, so he signed me up for a rehab course and it didn't take long for me to realise that I didn't want to be like these people. I sobered up quickly and came home and Mark was still there waiting to greet me. He asked me if I was ready to get my daughter back and I couldn't wait. That was a week ago, it took me a week to build up the courage to see you again. I know you hate me and I know why, but do you think you could give me another chance to be a mum? Your mum?” She had tears welling up in her eyes.

I could tell she was sincere but I could never forgive this monster for what she did to Stacy. I looked at Stacy, waiting to see if she had an answer.

“No.” She said simply.

“What?” Her mum said suddenly shocked and confused.

“Im not going with you! You made my life hell! You told me to die! You wanted me to die! Every time a doctor said that I would live you cried, but it wasn't in happiness, no. I was in sadness because you wanted nothing more then for me to be gone! How dare you come into this house and think that everything is going to be fine! Speaking of which, how did you even get into this house?” There was so much rage in her voice that it even scared me a little.

“I watched you for a while, I saw where you hid the spare key.” She looked down at her hands embarrassed.

“I swear to god, if you do anything to try and take her back, Ill call the police and accuse you for stalking and child abuse.” I spoke up.

“And Ill tell them how you abused and threatened me the day you came into my house.”

“When the hell did I ever abuse you bitch?”

“When you threw the joint out of my hand. Oh yes, I remember that. Its classified as abuse. Ill do anything it takes to get my daughter back. If that means going to court then so be it.”

My mum walked into the house and into the kitchen, she probably heard the yelling. As soon as she saw my expression she immediately asked what was going on. Debra filled her in pretty quickly. 

“Im sorry, did you say you were Stacy’s mother?” My mother asked trying to rack it though her brain.

“Yes I did.” She stated proudly.

“You are a sick twisted witch. Rot in hell.” My mum stormed up to her office.

We sat there in silence for a moment longer. I kept my stare on Debra, I could tell the more I stared at her the more uncomfortable she was getting.

“Tony, would you be able to go upstairs? I think I need to talk to my mother alone for a bit.” Stacy whispered into my ear.

“Are you going to be okay?” I whispered back.

“Ill be fine, there isn't much she can do to me anymore.” She gave me a gentle smile and nodded her head.

I stood up from the table and nudged Debra indicating that if she did anything stupid I would know. I walked up to my room and shut the door. 3..2..1.. thud! My fist collided with the wall above my dresser which in turn made a huge gaping hole. I could faintly hear people talking but it was to quiet to make anything out. I decided to have a shower and cool off. 

The same few thoughts were funning through my head. Would she go back with her? What if she hurts her again? What if she gets bad again? What if she does drugs again? What if this time I get there too late and she's gone. Image after image appeared in my head. I tried to shake them away but they just got clearer and clearer. After I had my shower I got changed into my singlet and sweats. I tried to forget about the thoughts but it was hard. Is this how Stacy felt? I decided I should get started on my homework, I don’t want to fall behind.

*2 hours later…*

Stacy came up the stairs and entered my room. Her expression was blank. I patted the spot next me telling her to lay down with me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her on the forehead. She buried her face into my chest and started crying. I realised what this meant. She was leaving. Tears formed in my eyes but I held them back. I kissed her on the forehead again but this time for longer. I rubbed her back up and down to try and get to her calm down.

“Shh, its okay. Everything is going to be fine.”

“I have to go with her. Mark has a lot of money and she will do whatever it takes. Besides it’ll only be for a few more months until I graduate then I can live with you forever.” 

I pulled her in closer and shushed her calmly trying to get her to stop crying. eventually I couldn't hold it in anymore and I just let the tears flow.