Chapter Twenty-Three - Day 147

Its game day. I couldn't be anymore excited. There were going to be numerous football coaches from universities looking for scholarships. I had already had a few offers but nothing that really stood out. I was hoping that maybe tonight I would be granted a scholarship by a well known university. I woke up at 3:30pm to exited to sleep any longer so I decided to start lifting some weights to prepare for tonight. I was going to train when I got there but I felt the need to do more.

The hour and a half went by rather quickly. I ate a meal of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and a protein shake. You would think with the amount of protein shakes I drink that I would like them, but no, they are probably one of the filthiest things you will ever drink. 

Mum was coming to the game later so I said my goodbye while she wished me good luck and I went on my way to the field. When I arrived I was the first one there, I got changed and but on all my protective gear. The boys started filing in one by one. The expression of everyone of their faces was nervous yet intensely pumped. When everyone was ready I decided to give them a motivational speech seeing as though thats what captains do.

“Alright lads, this is it. “I stood up on one of the benches. “This is the night that everyone will remember us by. This is the night that everyone will be talking about, what tries we scored, how well we played, how we helped each other out. After tonight we are going to be remembered as the school gods! Younger years will see us walk down the hallway and bow down to us! Tonight, we prove to them that we will be remembered!” I said as I pumped my fist in the air.

“GO HARD OR GO HOME MOTHER FUCKERS!” They all yelled as we ran out of the change rooms into practice.

*Stacy’s POV*

It was around 3:30pm when I got home seeing as though I had to get the bus because Tony was at home. I didn't bother to text Tony when I got home because I knew he would be prepping up for the big game. I have to admit I was ecstatic for him. This is what he wanted to do, this is where he wanted to be. The game started at 6pm so I had time to make mum and I dinner. Mark wasn't going to be home till after I had left so I thought I would have a nice mean and talk without Mark being there.

I walked through the front door and put my keys in the small ‘key bowl’ next to the door, I hung up my jacket on the hanger and walked into the lounge room to find my mum asleep on the couch, except this time she wasn’t knocked out by drugs, no, this was a genuine sleep. She had a small trace of a smile on her lips and she breathed in and out. This sight warmed my heart and made me tear up a little.

“Hey mum, Im home.” I whispered and kissed her on the forehead hello.

“Oh hi darling, how was school?” She slowly awakened and gave me a gentle smile.

“It was good, pretty quiet seeing as though all the boys were all at home sleeping and getting ready for the game tonight and all the girls were on the oval practicing for tonights halftime as well, so I just sat on my own at the table today.” I shrugged.

“Oh honey, Im sorry. Are you exited for the game today? You’ve never been to a game before.” She said beaming at me.

“Yeah, Im really exited, especially for Tony.” I said returning she smile. “I still have a few hours before I have to go, do you want to have dinner together?” I asked.

“Oh sweetie, I would love that. Am I cooking, or are you?”

“Ill cook mum, its okay.”

She nodded and got up from the coach and walked her way over to the kitchen and sat herself down at the dinning table. I turned on the gas stove and walked into my bedroom to get changed quickly.

*Tony’s POV*

6pm, the game was starting. We were all running onto the field and ran through some gigantic piece of paper with our team logo on it. I looked around the stadium to try and find Stacy and mum but the bright lights that were shining onto the field we blinding so there was no hope of seeing if they were here. I took a quick look over to the coach who had a worried expression on his face. Oh shit, did he not think we were going to be good enough? Looking at the coach set me on edge.

Suddenly he calls me over by waving his hand signalling me. I slowly jog over to him, cautious of what I may hear. He hands me the mobile phone that he was talking through.

“Its for you.” He says.

“Hello?” I ask, my voice shaky.

“Hi Tony, its Mark. There has been an accident. I think you should come quick.” My heart immediately sinks.

I look at the coach for guidance, he nods indicating for me to go. Does he know whats going on? I wave over Sid and tell him that he needs to take over the team while I go and see whats wrong. He agrees and runs back over to the team. I run off the field and into the locker room grabbing my phone, not bothering to get changed. I run as fast as I can to the car park and drive to Stacy’s house.

When I arrive there are ambulances, police officers and fire fighters. My heart rate increases as I slowly make my way out of the car and over to Mark. He welcomes me with open arms, he’s been crying. Oh shit. Tears threaten to leave my eyes but I don’t let them, not till I know whats happened. I look at the house and its in ashes, there was obviously a fire. My eyes scan the area searching for Stacy. Mark leads me over to a police officer. He is tall and rather large.

“And you are?” He asks.

“Im Tony Alter. Stacy Bell’s boyfriend. Where is my girlfriend?” I ask, my voice cracking.

“Oh. I think you should take a seat son.” He says patting the hood of the car next to him. I do as Im told and sit down. “You a footy boy?” He asks, I nod in response. “Look son, this isn't going to be easy for you to hear. There was an explosion and from the looks of it someone left the gas stove on and someone lit a cigarette. There were no survivors.”

Im speechless. My heart feels like its just been torn to pieces, shattered into a million bits. My poor Stacy has been ripped away from me. How the hell could this happen. Out of all the bad things that happened on her life this had to be one of them! Just as her fucking life began to come into place, her and her mum we starting for form a close bond, she had a father figure, friends, and a boyfriend who loved her so very much, and now, now she's dead. She's dead. She is dead.

By this point my head was in my hands, I didn't bother trying to hold back the sobs. It felt like everything in my life had just come crashing down. My world has just been blown to sheds, literally. 

Beautiful GoodbyeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara